RIMS Tubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonhead

Reaction score
Sup AHB?

So, I'm curious what's everyone using for RIMS tubes?

I know of the Kegking one, and similar designs from the States (at various price points, with FX and shipping, ending up costing a pretty penny in dollarydoos).

Are people building their own, if so out of what?

I'm assuming PVC pipe is a no go due to the heat of the element.

I would have through copper would be good, easy to work with, solder the ends on. But in my research, it's a little hard to come by suitable sized tubes in reasonable lengths (I don't need 6 meters of it...)

I've seen people assemble it out of stainless threaded pipe fittings, but it seems to end up costing the same as an off the shelf tube. At least for Aussie parts, maybe aliexpress might help out there?

I wanted to get a rims tube but ran into the same problems with the cost being too high, in the end I went to a herms. Copper coil inside a Kmart kettle.

Sup AHB?

So, I'm curious what's everyone using for RIMS tubes?

I know of the Kegking one, and similar designs from the States (at various price points, with FX and shipping, ending up costing a pretty penny in dollarydoos).

Are people building their own, if so out of what?

I'm assuming PVC pipe is a no go due to the heat of the element.

I would have through copper would be good, easy to work with, solder the ends on. But in my research, it's a little hard to come by suitable sized tubes in reasonable lengths (I don't need 6 meters of it...)

I've seen people assemble it out of stainless threaded pipe fittings, but it seems to end up costing the same as an off the shelf tube. At least for Aussie parts, maybe aliexpress might help out there?

Hey mate,
I ended up making my own & got a local engineering place to tap some BSP threads on it for me.
I'd buy off the shelf though if doing it again.
Having owned & run both Rims & Herms, I'd seriously look at Herms over Rims.
It only takes a stuck mash to rain on your parade & I ended up with three not far apart & that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Rims is far less forgiving than Herms & it's a bitch tossing out your mash & a total waste of money.
You can set up a pretty efficient Herms for not much cost at all.

Hey mate,
I ended up making my own & got a local engineering place to tap some BSP threads on it for me.
I'd buy off the shelf though if doing it again.
Having owned & run both Rims & Herms, I'd seriously look at Herms over Rims.
It only takes a stuck mash to rain on your parade & I ended up with three not far apart & that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Rims is far less forgiving than Herms & it's a bitch tossing out your mash & a total waste of money.
You can set up a pretty efficient Herms for not much cost at all.

Yeah, I'm looking into HERMS as well, as it's obviously a bit more simpler to set up. Just getting the feel for the RIMS setups out there to weigh up both options. I'd like to keep things compact, like with the RIMS, as I'm using it with a single keggle BIAB.

I have a HERMS . I run a 2400 W element in a 7.5lt BIG W pot with 3mtrs of copper ramp time is 1*C per min . I have seen other HERMS systems that run an electric kettle and they only hold 1.5lt . So you possibly could build a small HERMS the size of a RIMS tube . If you do get a stuck mash at least you won't scorch the wort

Latest posts

Back