Sodium Metabisulphite Sterilising Powder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently bought a bottle of "Sanitise" - hydrogen peroxide and silver ions - just to try it out. I normally use grumpys one-shot - orthophosphoric acid based. The Sanitise is very easy but really expensive - 30 mls make up a litre. 250ml cost $6.50. That's close enough to 80c a litre.

One shot takes only 5ml per litre and I often make up a big 5litre batch. Cheap.

No problems with its performance, but I can't see myself buying sanitise again.

Sodium percarbonate forms a solution of hydrogen peroxide in solution (up to 15%) although it is promoted as a cleaner (I use it for cleaning), it does kill some bugs and is a fungicide. I bought a 25 kg bag for $125 and my missus uses more of it in the laundry than I do for brewing.

IIRC Napisan is about 25% sodium percarbonate, Oxiclean is similar. Unfortunately these things have other ingredients that I am not to sure of in a food environment, especially since I don't like to rinse.

Bottom line is, if you are paying 80c /litre then you're wasting money IMHO.

I found a few places to buy this and phos. acid, checkout brewiki: cleaning and sanitation

PS I also add LABS acid to my cleaning and sanitising solutions, the foam gets in without the need to make 23 litres of solution.

Hi Guys,

I don't think that I will ever have to buy a sanitiser again ever. After seeing the previous posts, I did some research and found a product called "ELIMINATE". It is a commercial grade product used in the dairy industry. It is a lo-foam liquid phosphoric acid. I paid $40 for 5ltr and is diluted @ 20ml for 10 ltr.

so
2ml = 1 ltr
5ltr makes 2500 ltrs
around 1.6 cents a ltr

This stuff apparently is used just like one-shot, just let the solution pass over and no rinse required.

I was lucky to get a 5ltr lot, but the guy said that they are no doing any more 5ltr lots as the dairy farmers need more. Maybe some guys could split a 20l one up. They are $140 for 20l.

url: http://www.dasco.com.au/acidic_products.htm

Cheers,
Dave

And I sell the phosphoric acid thing 65c cheaper than grumpies :)

Jovial Monk

DaveR said:
2ml = 1 ltr
5ltr makes 2500 ltrs
around 1.6 cents a ltr
You can't complain about that. I couldn't find an MSDS at DASCO but I would be suprised if it was phosphoric acid alone if those are the recommended dilutions.

Some of the stronger dairy cleaners add other acids, IIRC such as nitric and oxalic.

It says 709g/L PHOSPHORIC ACID Active Constituent on the 5l container.

Low foaming acid dairy sanitiser.

I generally aim for about 0.5-1% phosphoric acid solution. I also add foaming agent to mine deliberately so it gets into all the nooks.

Sosman,

What is the foaming agent that you use?

Cheers

It already has a foaming agent in it. I don't know what it is. The instructions say's that 20ml makes 10 ltrs. So I made up a 1 ltr bottle with 20ml, and when I need to make some up I will use 100ml of this for every 1 ltr that I need. They also say you can reuse it too. But at that price, why bother.

Big Beer Belly said:
What is the foaming agent that you use?
I use LABS acid. Its really just a concentrated, unadulterated detergent. The full name is too much of a mouthful.

I bought it from Advance Chemicals. I listed their details (and Hucon's) at
Brewiki: cleaning and sanitation

1 litre will last you a very long time indeed. I don't actually measure it but I aim for roughly 1:10:2000 (LABSA:pHOS:water). To be honest I taste it to check the dilution. I might have mentioned 2% earlier, I am confusing the amount of phos acid they (used to) put in Coca cola.

On the weekend I cleaned a keg and after letting the foam do its magic I turn it upside down to drain. I wish I had taken some pictures (didn't want to put the beer at risk though) cos when I siphoned the beer into the keg, the foam got pushed out the top and I ended up with a snake of foam about 60cm long.

Since rinsing would kind of defeat the purpose (and I couldn't be bothered), I wouldn't use kitchen detergent due to the smell and other stuff in it, I would just dilute the phos acid and shake it around a lot.

I also keep a spray bottle of ~1% solution handy. Anything that even goes near the beer cops it, including my hands - keep it out of your face though.

guys,
Just looked at the link for Dasco and the one I use would be similar to the one listed as "IOPHOS" which is just above the "ELIMINATE"

This is a pic of the container that I got.

Linz, I was going to get the IPHOS one too, but decided not too as it has iodine in it. Don't want the fermenter going a funny colour.

mypic1.jpg

Cheers

I really wish I'd read this thread 3 or 4 weeks ago. I've always used neopink with no issues. Then I read that neopink can damage your keg so when I was at the HBS I was advised to use Sodium Metabisulfate in my keg.

Of course I took this a step further and used it in about 5 batches of brew. 3 were really bad, 1 okay to drink if necessary and 1 fine with a minor blemish.

It had me totally stumped as I'm paranoid about cleaning. Back to the neopink for todays batch......

deebee said:
I recently bought a bottle of "Sanitise" - hydrogen peroxide and silver ions - just to try it out. I normally use grumpys one-shot - orthophosphoric acid based. The Sanitise is very easy but really expensive - 30 mls make up a litre. 250ml cost $6.50. That's close enough to 80c a litre.

One shot takes only 5ml per litre and I often make up a big 5litre batch. Cheap.

[post="15372"][/post]​

I use Hysan which is basically the concentrated version of Sanitise - costs $22 for 1L or $80 for 5L. Recommended dilution is 1ml per litre. totally clear/odourless/no rinse. Completely sanitises in 7 mins & can be reused many times...

Ross said:
deebee said:

[post="15372"][/post]​

I use Hysan which is basically the concentrated version of Sanitise - costs $22 for 1L or $80 for 5L. Recommended dilution is 1ml per litre. totally clear/odourless/no rinse. Completely sanitises in 7 mins & can be reused many times...
[post="56513"][/post]​

I use Orthophosphoric acid with some very foamy labs acid mixed in. 1.3 ml per litre and a couple of drops of the Labs in about a 10 litre mix.
The ortho was about $8 for a litre and the labs about $7 for 500 ml. That will last a heck of a long time.

cheers
johnno

:blink:

I once asked about whether sanitise could be mixed in a container and saved for future use. General consensus was that its effectiveness would diminish fairly rapidly.

Do you mean that it can be re-used many times in the one session?

PB

Tub said:
:blink:

I once asked about whether sanitise could be mixed in a container and saved for future use. General consensus was that its effectiveness would diminish fairly rapidly.

Do you mean that it can be re-used many times in the one session?

PB
[post="56552"][/post]​

Sanitise is a very diluted product, but should still be able to be used quite a few times (just remember it takes 7 mins to fully sterilise). The Hysan is so cheap, that I have 25L made up to double strength in a cube with a tap & pour off into a 2L lemonade bottle for general use - when I've reused this half a dozen times, I just throw away & pour a new bottle...

Latest posts

Back