So... I Finally Got Around To Making My Alcoholic Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone pitched yeast into Coke, Fanta, Lemonade?

Im glad your happy with the results but can you explain the attraction of oztops? its just a bottle with a stupid 'nipple/valve' thing that pops out when ready and yeast (and maybe some flavouring?). thats nothing differant than what you could make using a fermentor juice and yeast and a few normal bottles

just buy some Wyeast 5151PC - Brettanomyces Claussenii and use it to ferment juice to make cider. lovely pineapply slightly tart flavours. it would be seriously better than oztops. in fact just about any yeast would be. SO4 is a nice clean yeast also. or a wine yeast. hell add sugar if you like to byump up to the %alc.

or just buy a 'water purifier' to make stuff we cant talk about on AHB.

to me alcowater sounds hidious. but to each their own. mind you i think sub zeros taasted horrid

uncle arthur falling down water
1 good bitter or ale kit
1.5kg light malt extract
2kg glucose/dextrose
15g Fuggles hop pellets

now of course you could just sub out the fermetables as you like with dex or malto dex and experiment. but again i cant imagine it tasting any good, yeah it will get you pissed but...
Ah Sub Zero's, reminds me of the days of them, Lemon Ruskies and Two Dogs (is that still around? That was great)

Has anyone pitched yeast into Coke, Fanta, Lemonade?

No... really? Can't see that tasting good. It'll work. I just looked at a coke bottle and it has about the right amount of sugar to end @ 6%, but non-sweet cidery coke? You'd be better off making the alcowater and then adding soda stream flavouring (they have cola, lemonade and that syrupy orange), or coke syrup if you can get it. I think it'd work for lemonade and orange, not sure about how well cola would go with that winey finish.

Petesbrew. Give the original recipe a go and serve with a good (real juice) lemon cordial. Very bloody close, and only around $1 a litre all up (including the cordial).

Folks

With the amount of preservative and acid in those drinks there's no way it will ferment. I suspect you would pour the yeast in and it would scream and jump straight back out again.

Cheers
Dave

Folks

With the amount of preservative and acid in those drinks there's no way it will ferment. I suspect you would pour the yeast in and it would scream and jump straight back out again.

Cheers
Dave

I'm pretty sure my brother did it and it worked well. I'll ask him tonight.

I'm trying to think this one through, so any thoughts would be appreciated

If I cool to serving temp or below, say 3 Degree's.
add cordial, flavour ect.

Then cabinate via CO2, would it still bottle ferment? (BOOOM??)

shouldnt the low temp stop the yeast working?

No... really? Can't see that tasting good. It'll work. I just looked at a coke bottle and it has about the right amount of sugar to end @ 6%, but non-sweet cidery coke? You'd be better off making the alcowater and then adding soda stream flavouring (they have cola, lemonade and that syrupy orange), or coke syrup if you can get it. I think it'd work for lemonade and orange, not sure about how well cola would go with that winey finish.

Petesbrew. Give the original recipe a go and serve with a good (real juice) lemon cordial. Very bloody close, and only around $1 a litre all up (including the cordial).
Sorry, Tanga, I think I'll stick with beer. :D

No preservatives Airgead, but acidity may be an issue for some yeast. Best to let it go flat before adding yeast.

Awesome Fury - if you use a fine filter you may be okay (as long as it's fine enough to filter out the yeast), otherwise I see sticky bottlebombs in your future. Lots of faffing around though. Easier to bottle it sans-cordial then add some as you drink / a day or so before the event then refrigerate it. I'll probably bring some to the case swap as a bit of a stir. You're more than welcome to try some.

Petesbrew - no worries mate. Except for the odd ginger beer most of mine are taken to barbecues, etc, to share with non-beer-drinkers.

If I cool to serving temp or below, say 3 Degree's.
add cordial, flavour ect.

Then cabinate via CO2, would it still bottle ferment? (BOOOM??)

shouldnt the low temp stop the yeast working?

Cooling it to 3C will stop it fermenting while it is at that cold, but it's won't kill it. If you then force carb with CO2 and keep at 3C you'll be ok. This is what people do with kegs to keep sugars in ciders and ginger beers. But you have to keep it that cold from then on.

If you take your carbed bottle out of the fridge it will warm up again, the yeast will wake up and start chewing through the left over sugar and start farting CO2 and you'll end up with exploding bottles. :eek:

No preservatives Airgead, but acidity may be an issue for some yeast. Best to let it go flat before adding yeast.

I used to work for a factory that made the concentrates for that kind of stuff...

Fanta - Carbonated water, sugar, food acid (330), flavour, preservative (211), antioxidant (300), colour (110).

Lemonade is pretty much the same. Coke uses phosphoric acid to drop the Ph to something stupid which acts as a preservative. Yeast wouldn't survive in that stuff.

Cheers
Dave

Oops, sorry, just looked at some non-coke bottles Airgead. Kinda glad it won't work; it sounds nasty. Now that I think about it I imagine they'd get some spontaneous fermentation if the softdrink didn't have preservatives. Adding the real syrup (either sodastream or from the boxes if you know a publican / someone in your old job) to the alcowater would be best. Or even vodka and normal water if you have kegs.

Lemonade is pretty much the same. Coke uses phosphoric acid to drop the Ph to something stupid which acts as a preservative. Yeast wouldn't survive in that stuff.

And of course someone has experimented with it. A small amount of fermentation, but not much, probably due to the low pH.

Adding the real syrup (either sodastream or from the boxes if you know a publican / someone in your old job) to the alcowater would be best. Or even vodka and normal water if you have kegs.

No thanks.. not that desperate. Just trying to save someone some time. Spending the time and effort on alcopops just doesn't do it for me.

Made a very nice German Lager today... just chilling now.

Cheers
Dave

so adding like coke or lemonade after the ferment should kill the yeast then?

No, because it'll be diluted and there will be much more yeast by then.

If you can't filter it your best bet will be using artificial cordial to sweeten it, if you have to have it in the bottle made up. Why can't you store the alcowater and cordial separately until required?

I could do that, but i'm just wondering.. would be easier to take it around if it's just all in one bottle and you dont need to mix it, ect.

i found you can add
Potassium Metabisulphite
Potassium Sorbate

These is stop the yeast reproducing.

I couldnt find the ammounts yet though

Not 100% with that though. How about 4/5 fill the bottles (600 mL, 1.25, or 2 L) and add the cordial when you refrigerate? I've done that before. Works well.

If you really got desperate and given this thread is making alcoholic water......

The pH of coke is reported to be 2.5 which is not an issue for a wine yeast such as EC-1118. You could help it along by increasing the pH using K2CO3 to 3 or slightly higher and some yeast nutrient such as DAP wouldn't go astray.

I highly doubt there are enough preservatives in coke etc to stop EC-1118. It's what winemakers use when they get a stuck ferment.

Once you do make this hooch do you wrap the bottles in brown paper bags before drinking it?

Not sure why you would bother, would be easier to remove the methanol from methylated spirits :ph34r:

Actually they dont add Methanol to Metho any more, just vile tasting hard to remove Denaturing Agents in an attempt to make it undrinkable.
Methanol was abandon because; well imagine the legal consequences of adding a known toxin to something that you are adding flavouring to stop people drinking, there is a clearly identified possibility/certainty that someone will drink the product, deliberately poisoning people to prevent tax evasion isnt an option.
Wiki article on Metho is worth a quick read.
Please dont think Im encouraging anyone to try and clean up Metho and drink it. Some of the chemical used are very bad news and these days quite a lot of the alcohol used is synthesised from Ethane and may contain traces of Benzene which really is a good way to give yourself liver cancer.
Likewise I dont really get the point of this whole thread I have long ago outgrown the desire to make cheap piss in any form, rather concentrate on quality be it whiskey, wine, beer.....
Mark

Latest posts

Back