So, I bought a $20 fridge and put apple juice in it...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plamglotis

Reaction score
Good evening everyone..
I have exactly 14 days of home brewing experience. The idea of home distillation has been something I've been keen to explore for a few years and I finally decided that I'd start at the beginning and make some basic alcohol. I have 15L ish of Aldi apple juice doing it's thing (in my temp controlled fridge - happened to be very easy to obtain), and it's going well.
I think my plan is to go through some really basic fermentation (store bought cider, mead) then go straight onto an all grain beer, thinking a wheat beer...

Keen to extract as much as I can from this forum!

..... Anyone here made a wild yeast cider in West Aus? Where did you get your apples/juice..

Good to know that ALDI Apple juice will ferment. I have done a fresh home juiced apples (+ campden), and Nudie Juice. Both very dry (as I used Champagne yeast). May I enquire - what yeast did you use?

Attachments

• IMG_4006.jpeg
    IMG_4006.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Noting that i responded to a post with a question.
My response to that is:
I used the Campden on the fresh crushed apples to control the outcome so only the Champagne fermentation. So no Wild Yeast fermentation. I will try a wild yeast if i can get my hands on some home grown/organic apples. I might check out a local market. I would expect a lower Alcohol from a wild yeast.

Noting that i responded to a post with a question.
My response to that is:
I used the Campden on the fresh crushed apples to control the outcome so only the Champagne fermentation. So no Wild Yeast fermentation. I will try a wild yeast if i can get my hands on some home grown/organic apples. I might check out a local market. I would expect a lower Alcohol from a wild yeast.

Hi Whralr,

I have done 3 Aldi ciders so far and they have all been good. The Aldi juice is $2 a lot more cost effective in my opinion and makes a very drinkable cider. I have used a few different yeast and alway with yeast nutrient. All have different characteristics(all very dry as all the sugar gets fermented out) but all are good. Going to do another batch this weekend 1/2 an hour and you fermenting. I hope this helps.

Hi Whralr,

I have done 3 Aldi ciders so far and they have all been good. The Aldi juice is $2 a lot more cost effective in my opinion and makes a very drinkable cider. I have used a few different yeast and alway with yeast nutrient. All have different characteristics(all very dry as all the sugar gets fermented out) but all are good. Going to do another batch this weekend 1/2 an hour and you fermenting. I hope this helps.

Hi Whralr,

I Hve Just made a Mangrove Jacks Cider, Cider enhancer and 2 lt Aldi (cloudy 99% Australian apple juice), and a cider yeast. OG only 1035, lower than I expected.

Latest posts

Back