So Far So Good.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron23

Reaction score
Well the fourth day of fermentation is underway for my First Brew. The black rock pilsener.

I have been reading at speeds I never thought possible. And as some of the more experienced people might imagine, the things I have read have thrown me into a state of panic, soothed my reading AHB success stories :D

However, just thought to be on the safe side and stop the nightmere

Ferm1.jpg

Well there is it, Its starting to slow at the airlock, not that it was as active as I thought it might be at its peak.
I can see a delicious beer like substance miraculously forming in the tank! However im worried.
Only 5g of yeast came with the pack. Ive read that most people start with about 20g of dry yeast. WHAT ARE BLACK ROCK DOING!
I tried to get some US05 but the store was out of stock

I know ive been fermenting at about 18C, Im sure this is an ale yeast as the can said 18-28C. Should I be doing anything to stimulate the yeast as I know this is cold for the guys

lid1.jpg

I wish Id cleared the lid when attaching it, I have not been able to see though it properly since the start. But through the drops with a torch I can see the surface is pretty clear with some patches of white bubbles, a little above the surface a brown ring runs around the fermenter. Nothing horrid smelling is coming out, but then again I wouldnt know what to expect.

Other concerns, petty and paranoid im sure :rolleyes:
I may have used slightly to much Iodophor in cleaning,

I may have touched the surface of the brew with my bare hand(should have been pretty clean) when I was getting some for the OG reading(1038)

I used about 80% water filtered through an active charcoal filter, and 20% with tap water (was rushed out the door)

Sorry about the long post. Ive just been going over lots of OLD AHB threads and got thinking maybe I should let some pro's make sure I havnt missed something and spawn the new plague in my fridge :)

Other than that, I can hardly wait!

Take yourself a hydrometer reading and you might find that the initial fermentation has finished. Its a good idea to leave it on the yeast for longer as the yeast will clean up things like diacetyl. Have a taste of your hydrometer sample to! Good luck I am sure it will taste good.

Don't stress about the yeast, you know for next time! (I hope this isnt the only beer you will make) to buy some quality dry yeast instead of using the kit yeast. US-05 is pretty good as you can ferment at aroun 18 for an Ale and I've used it fermenting around 13-14 degrees and can make some great fake lagers.

Enjoy the ride!

dont stress that 18 is to cold for the yeast,it is in fact perfect to make a good beer. yes 5 g of yeast is under pitching but the nice temp should help with reduction of off flavours it might cause.next brew do the same thing with the us05 and the beer will be a bit better.it really sounds as if youve really got youre shit together and if you keep reading here youre next beer should be really good.the only q ive got is why didnt you take the og sample from the tap? just spray the tap before and after the sample with iodophor solution and you will ensure no bugs can get in to your beer. good luck with the caper mate, im sure you will be asking bout ag and kegs in no time at this rate. :ph34r:

Still kicking myself for not taking the OG from the tap, It didnt even occur to me until it was over.

I just opened the fridge door to let it heat up about 1-2 degrees in the air tempurature anyway, Im sure the liquid is more or less unchanged. and within 5 minutes the rate of bubbling in the airlock has well...trippled ? Im going to get it back to 18 right now, but it made me wonder.

Also, using vodka in the airlock ? I read about someone doing it and might give that a try next time.

Im planning on leaving it in until at least the 10 day mark.

For next brew ill be trying a secondary ferment, hops, better yeast, liquid malt, and I've heard lots of bad things about priming with sucrose/glucose drops, so might look at malt primer.

Also, Ill need to get some more empty bottles on Australia day to put it all in!

Fingers crossed here that when this first is done aging, it will not be like the grandfathers!

Ahh, The only other things on my mind.

When the primary is finished, Should I "cold crash". I should be able to keep it at 2-6C for a few days. but would then need to lift it to be high enough to pour into bottles.

Use the hydrometer to monitor fermentation, monitoring by airlock activity is not accurate.

When primary fermentation is complete, I raise the temp a couple of degrees to hopefully get rid of any diacetyl then bring back to ferment temp for a few more then bring the temp to 1degree for 5 or so days.

In regards to the airlock try the glad wrap option.. Cover the fermenter with a couple of layers of glad wrap then put the large o ring in the lid around the glad wrap. The air will still escape and you,dont need to worry about water/vodka etx being sucked back into the wort.

don't worry too much about the temp going up a bit.
You sound like you have done a bloody good job.

I have ales sitting on 24-26 and they come out fine.

When the weather cools down a bit they will just come out a bit better I guess.

Pilseners are meant to be a brewed a bit colder though....so I was told.
I did a few last winter they came out great.

Back