Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimmy86 said:
I understand the bottles, but what's the wagon wheel going to do other than be a cool wheel to move it around?

Yes the plans to use the wheels on the fire box end and some smaller cast wheels on the front I'm still a little unsure on the fire box size so I think I might make my own out of plate
The idea of this build is to be a small budget build with things I have around the shed and left over bits from mates

shaunous said:
I low and slow everything Droopy brew. Except poultry, I learnt that the hard way :unsure: .

Like others have said, everything I baste as normal and remove them at their desired internal temps, which most of the time is about the 65-68*c mark, except pork shoulder for pulled pork being the 90*c. Then wrap, then carv. I mostly use my smoker for big cooks, so i'll cook 3,4 or 5 cuts at once, so everything in there sits at 110*c, its just their pulled out at different times, or put in a different times.
I going to smoke up a whole chook soon in my gas smoker, should I put it on med-high heat ?

Took the plunge and bought this bad boy.. Bring on the smoke ! Primo Oval XL with all the bling accessories

th.jpg

Had one of those for a couple of years now, had a weber kettle 20 odd years before it, replaced the weber as the lid had rust holes through it. The Primo is a great bit of kit, so simple to set the temp with small adjustments to the top vent, much easier to control cf the weber, and very stable temps.
The only bit I've replaced is the felt seal ( as it burnt away ), bought some ceramic woven tape from the States and glued it on with the red high temp silicon gasket stuff for turbo 's , a much better fix than the original.
Fantastic as a bbq, great for roasting, and a smoker too, you'll love it.

seamad said:
Had one of those for a couple of years now, had a weber kettle 20 odd years before it, replaced the weber as the lid had rust holes through it. The Primo is a great bit of kit, so simple to set the temp with small adjustments to the top vent, much easier to control cf the weber, and very stable temps.
The only bit I've replaced is the felt seal ( as it burnt away ), bought some ceramic woven tape from the States and glued it on with the red high temp silicon gasket stuff for turbo 's , a much better fix than the original.
Fantastic as a bbq, great for roasting, and a smoker too, you'll love it.
Thanks mate.. hope it was worth the large investment just gotta learn how to use it now

Grainer said:
Took the plunge and bought this bad boy.. Bring on the smoke ! Primo Oval XL with all the bling accessories
You sure don't do things by halves, do you?

Samuel Adams said:
I going to smoke up a whole chook soon in my gas smoker, should I put it on med-high heat ?
Yeh. You want your oven temps for chicken or it comes out rubber.

Hey Grainer & Seamad!

Would you rather one of the Primo's over a proper built fire pizza oven??? Or they do different things and better at them?

shaunous said:
Would you rather one of the Primo's over a proper built fire pizza oven??? Or they do different things and better at them?
Different beasts entirely.

I've only got a cheapy kamado (Dragon) but I've used it for: low'n'slow cooking, smoking, pizzas, roasting and direct grilling over coals.

While you could do a lot of these in a pizza oven, I don't think you'd have the same control over the heat. Pretty hard to control a pizza oven at 125 C for 12 hours for a brisket.

Saying that, it's also pretty hard to do more than one pizza at a time in a kamado. A wood fired pizza oven is on my wish list, I just don't know where I'd put it.

I've built a brick wfo ( pompeii igloo style, 1m internal diameter ) and for pizza it shits on the primo, and anything else for that matter. Rating from worst to best for pizza, in my experience, are oven, gas bbq, primo, wfo.
The problem with the primo ( and bbq's in general ) is that you can get the bottom hot enough but you can't get the top hot enough, nothing beats having a fire licking over the top of your pizza.
On Saturday night my 2 kids ( 8 and 10 ) had a friend over each for a sleepover, so we had pizza's. The 10 year olds face lit up after his first bite and proclaimed it to be the best pizza he'd ever eaten, he then had to have a slice of every pizza made just to make sure, ended up eating more than me.I used plenty of insulation in the build so I get 3 days cooking from the one firing. Yesterday i baked some bread in the morning, and did a beef rib (bone in ) roast and vegies for dinner. You get very juicy roasts in the wfo as it's just radiant heat from the bricks. With the primo you get all the extra flavour from cooking over charcoal and adding lumps of wood. I have light a small fire in the wfo when already hot, added the meat and then closed the door, which puts the fire out and lightly smokes the meat.
On the third day the wfo is good for low and slow, @120 in the morning, add meat and after 10 hours it's @105. Again you can't get the smokiness that the primo gets. I have thought of using my smoking tube with a computer fan and trying to get smoke in that way but the primo does it already, so haven't bothered.

long winded reply, short answer is have both :D

seamad said:
I've built a brick wfo ( pompeii igloo style, 1m internal diameter ) and for pizza it shits on the primo, and anything else for that matter. Rating from worst to best for pizza, in my experience, are oven, gas bbq, primo, wfo.
The problem with the primo ( and bbq's in general ) is that you can get the bottom hot enough but you can't get the top hot enough, nothing beats having a fire licking over the top of your pizza.
On Saturday night my 2 kids ( 8 and 10 ) had a friend over each for a sleepover, so we had pizza's. The 10 year olds face lit up after his first bite and proclaimed it to be the best pizza he'd ever eaten, he then had to have a slice of every pizza made just to make sure, ended up eating more than me.I used plenty of insulation in the build so I get 3 days cooking from the one firing. Yesterday i baked some bread in the morning, and did a beef rib (bone in ) roast and vegies for dinner. You get very juicy roasts in the wfo as it's just radiant heat from the bricks. With the primo you get all the extra flavour from cooking over charcoal and adding lumps of wood. I have light a small fire in the wfo when already hot, added the meat and then closed the door, which puts the fire out and lightly smokes the meat.
On the third day the wfo is good for low and slow, @120 in the morning, add meat and after 10 hours it's @105. Again you can't get the smokiness that the primo gets. I have thought of using my smoking tube with a computer fan and trying to get smoke in that way but the primo does it already, so haven't bothered.

long winded reply, short answer is have both :D
A brick wfo is awesome I built a barrel volt style oven to bake bread and cook roasts in it the best thing I've ever built
7 years later and countless fires it's still like new

shaunous said:
Hey Grainer & Seamad!

As I understand the Primo has the ultimate temperature control ! above and beyond nearly all cookers of these types

King Panda said:
http://www.claypave.com.au/pizza-ovens/

These kits are good, easy to build and very efficient. If you want something custom they also have a huge range of refractories so any style is achievable.

Full disclosure, this is my family's company.
So does that mean half price for AHB members?

Do you have one? How are you enjoying it?

If you need anything additional let me know and I'll see what I can do.

seamad said:
Can I claim that retrospectively ? :ph34r:
Nice try.."not half price" sounds like 49% off.... go Warmbeer.. while the irons HOT

King Panda said:
Do you have one? How are you enjoying it?

If you need anything additional let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Twas only kidding.
I didn't use one of your kits, but did buy my firebricks from you for my oven and also an outdoor open fireplace ( still under construction ). The steering on the ute was rather light on the way home from Dinmore.

Back