Smoker Or Non Smoker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a smoker or non smoker

• yes I smoke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no I dont smoke

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
As a reformed smoker , I often wonder if smoking interferes ones abilty to distinguish the delicate flavours of the beers we brew .?

do you smoke ?

Whats your opinion?

Pumpy :)

Never having smoked I can only go on comments from those who have. I don't think there's much debate on the fact that it does affect your pallet.

Cheers Ross

Probably had 1o ciggies in my whole life, all before i was 16 i would say. Never felt so shitty in my life. Cant understand it ( Smoking) for the life of me, but that's just me.

A reformed smoker here, gave up over 30yrs ago, started when I joined the military almost 40yrs ago we got them duty free and sometimes free, duty free they were 15c a pack and when they went up to 20c I quit. <_<

Non smoker. I am quite sensitive to smoke. I can even smell someone smoking in the car in front.

recently reformed smoker(i quit on good friday) has boosted the brewing budget,so a good trade off for me. am going through chewing gum at an amazing rate. on the packets it states that over consumption can have a laxative effect,has to be the most truthful bit of advertising i have ever read. :p

Spog,
instead of nico chewing um try brewing an ale using Rauchmalz(smoked malt) it may just have enough nicotine in to satisfy your cravings otherwise any smokey stuff tastes nice to smokers .

Pumpy :)

So far it would appear that Home brewers are predominately non smokers .

That would be right if they are too skinny to pay full price for beer they would also be reluctant to pay for a packet of fags . :)

Touche.

Well, I've never been a big smoker; I've stolen the odd ciggie off people, especially when pissed at parties, but that's about it.

Touche.

Well, I've never been a big smoker; I've stolen the odd ciggie off people, especially when pissed at parties, but that's about it.

Peas & Korn , So you like smoking "Freemans cigarettes" funny I always have a great desire to smoke when I have drank of beer there must me some association with beer & smoking . :party:

Why is this so ??

Pumpy

I always have a great desire to smoke when I have drank of beer there must me some association with beer & smoking . :party:

Why is this so ??

Pumpy
There is an association between nicotine and any stimulant, be it tea, coffee or alcohol, as soon as you partake of any stimulant the desire to use nicotine is enhanced.
The Jehovahs Witnesses used to run a 5 day quit smoking programme which did actually work, 5 days with no tea, coffee or alcohol.....or cigarettes, and you were well on the way to recovery from the habit.
The only negative was that they tried to adopt you into their way of thinking too.
If you want to quit give it a try, I used it on a few people with success (no religion involved).

So far it would appear that Home brewers are predominately non smokers .

That would be right if they are too skinny to pay full price for beer they would also be reluctant to pay for a packet of fags . :)

Thats why I brew my own fags too. K+K Though. (I.e. I dont do chop chop)

Currently I am an on/off smoker.

I desperately wish I didnt like smoking but I do. I am continually giving up and the hardest time is when Ive had some beers.

I tend to stop for 1 or 2 weeks, go and have a beer with a smoker and then end up smoking a pack and then either stop again or ....I dont stop and I back on them for a month or two.

I have a second personality that smokes. Sometimes Ive been off-em for a couple of weeks and then I find Im standing out the front of a shop lighting a fag thinking "Now why the F$#@ am I having a smoke?....too late!"

Anyway, its not the smoking I dont recommend to people, its the starting I dont recommend.

cheers all.

ATOMT.

Touche.

Peas & Korn , So you like smoking "Freemans cigarettes" funny I always have a great desire to smoke when I have drank of beer there must me some association with beer & smoking . :party:

Why is this so ??

Pumpy

Freemans, eh? Haven't heard that one before! Most of the labels my friends give to peopel like me involve more swearing, but oh well. Anyway, yeah, there is that strange connection between drinking and smoking that's quite interesting; it's quite a stimulant, especially combined with alcohol. If you add the fact I'm not addicted to them, the nicotine has a greater affect on me. I remember my first cigarette; I was 16 I think, and my friends' friend said "don't give him one of those, that's a 16!" Didn't know what that meant; I had a couple and I was in the sky for quite a while after that.

I'm a reformed smoker, gave up 8 years ago to the weekend, (Queen's Birthday), and I have no desire to take up the habit again. The smell of tobacco smoke is very off-putting to my nose now, although I do enjoy the aroma of a freshly opened pouch of tobacco leaf, any brand, it doesn't matter which. :p
I've got to be really drunk to even think about having a ciggie when out with friends, but thankfully they don't give me any.
BTW, I know the Freemans brand as "OP's" or 'other peoples'. OP's are big in beers too for some people. :beerbang:

Us smokers are a minority here and at the pubs now! :( I hate not being able to go out to the pub to watch the footy etc and not being able to have a smoke! :angry:

I put up my own bar and I can smoke all I like and its cheaper!

Smoked 16's for 20 years. Managed to chuck them 9 years ago (when the wife and I worked out we were smoking a third of a mortgage payment a fortnight.... :blink: )

Love the smell of a pipe or a stogie, but not too keen on the residue of a sick-regret.

Can't wait for the 100% smoking ban to come into play in pubs and clubs....

M

Can't wait for the 100% smoking ban to come into play in pubs and clubs....

M

Oh yeah. Bring on the ban! Then I might be able to take my wife out for a quiet drink at the pub without her ending up in hospital thanks to other people's smoke.

At the moment if she walks past a pub she has to reach for the ventolin.

Cheers
Dave

Never could come at ciggies - no taste & just make you feel sick but I used to smoke a pipe for a while & I still enjoy the odd cigar on special occasions.

Latest posts

Back