Smashed My Hydrometer :( Any Recommendations?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjornwiser

Reaction score
Had to happen, the hydrometer rolled off my cupboard.

Any recommendations, what brands are the best? I've been using the one I got with my coopers brew kit for the last couple of years, I think it has done a good job .

Cheers

As handy as they are, a refractometer is good for gravity readings pre-ferment, but once you've got alcohol and dissolved CO2 in your solution, a hydrometer is a much more affordable and reliable option.
Having said that, neither of them will give you a hugely reliable final gravity, and thusly, alcohol content, but its close.

I have a refractometer that I have used every single brew day for the last 7-8 years. If for some reason it became lost or broken it would make no difference to my resulting brew what so ever, they are a nice thing to play with but you don't need one to brew good beer.
Get some temperature control before getting one of these.

Batz

I think a refractometer is a must if you're new to your rig.

Once you've got all your gear sorted out, brewed a bunch of different styles in a similar ways and 'calibrated' both yourself and your gear, then you probably don't need it.

It is always a good idea to test everything though, because eventually either something will fail (or you'll forget something/do something stupid) and testing will point it out to you. E.g. wrong mash temperature, boil off rate changing due to ambient temperature, or any bit of equipment failing (esp. if it's an intermittent fault).

Temperature control is a must, but depending on your climate can be done with some wet towels, ice bricks, etc.

I'm just viewing it as a start to finish process. If you don't have the beginning right, the stuff you do at the end (e.g. ferment temp) doesn't matter as much because it's already stuffed.

Rob.

I'd suggest getting a refractometer. You only need a few drops instead the 150-200mls you use with a hydrometer

They cost a little more but they are a quality instrument that'll last you for years with a little bit of tender love and care

Any recommendations, what brands are the best?
Cheers

Not sure if you have a Big W nearby. Stay away from the little packaged jobbies they sell (brand name escapes me) unless you only want to brew small beers, they max out @ 1.040. Even then, their not accurate. The ones most HBS`s are selling are the "made in France" and do the job but still smash.
I know of somebody guessing readings using a battery hydrometer :lol: :lol: . He smashed that too :lol:

I smashed mine the other day too. Must be an SA thing. I bought a new one.

i've done 2 in about 2 weeks. i'm almost over the expensive ones! lol

got a cheap kmart one. gets me close enough to know if i need more sugar ect. and a close fg.

Latest posts

Back