Smaller brews in larger pressure fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shotgun07

Reaction score
Just want to get some advice?

I am about to get a large Kegmenter second hand, my question is can I do smaller brews in a 58ltr Kegmenter and if so any tips for when I do it ? Or am I just wasting a bunch of gas ?

Cheers Tim

If you pressure ferment (even only nominally), the CO2 would be generated by the yeast. And if you then counter-flow to a keg using gravity, then no, you won't waste any gas.

Only if you hook up a gas cylinder to serve/transfer from the larger vessel will you use additional gas, due to the larger head space.

What should I set my spunding valves to normal fermentation for pressure ferment??

General rule of thumb is around 10-15psi. I've had no issues up to 14psi using WLP001 and WLP838. My spunding value only goes to 15psi and I'm sure others will have experience with fermenting at higher pressures without any problems. But the advice I stuck to was start at 10psi and go up from there. I can say that in my experience in this range the beer has never been fully carbonated at end of fermentation but well on its way.

General rule of thumb is around 10-15psi. I've had no issues up to 14psi using WLP001 and WLP838. My spunding value only goes to 15psi and I'm sure others will have experience with fermenting at higher pressures without any problems. But the advice I stuck to was start at 10psi and go up from there. I can say that in my experience in this range the beer has never been fully carbonated at end of fermentation but well on its way.
Awesome thanks for the advice

Latest posts

Back