Small Bar Snob Slams Wa's Best Pubs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He probably wants to open a very good venue only to flog it in the near future for a price. He has obviously done it in the past. Do they need another venue in the area. Why didn't he keep his previous venture and improve or modify it to what he has in mind today.

I've never been to Perth but I really have to say that the article screams "imbalance". Every application would comment negatively on some aspect of the local venues to make their own venue seem more worthy. Reading the article only made me wonder if the paper's (I say "paper" only because the layout screams "local paper", as I say, I've never been in the area so I dunno) owner had some sort of financial interest in either stopping the venue or in competing venue(s).

Melbourne (where I live) is basically sown together by small, snobbish bars and they basically keep the place functioning. You can't have a city run by few large, pissy hell-holes. Yes, I'm looking at you, northern, club-focussed states).

[EDIT: added convoluted explanation of my use of the word "paper" - perhaps "electronic parchment" may have been more appropriate?]

He'll probably get some micro brews and sell them for a ridiculous price to make it seem exclusive - worst part is people will go there thinking its the place to be. He'll probably have no problems or additional controls over the licence unlike the micro breweries in the city. Useless liquor licensing people

In Perth most pubs start out good and then go downward very fast. For the majority we either have places like Carnegies which is full of scum, or snobby metro places that are way to pretentious.

How can he put down the Flying Scottsman? Just because it isn't a snobby establishment badly decorated with the latest chic' fashions. They have a fairly good range of beers, cheap food and a relaxed atmosphere! I think its 12 dollar pizza and a pint on Sunday and the pizzas are great (its better than paying 18bucks for a pint of Hoegaarden). We need more pubs like the scotto. What makes somewhere like Melbourne better in terms of pub culture is that they have them all over the place (and their food is better and cheaper).

I don't see how having heaps of snobby bars is going to make Perth's pub culture better. I am all for small bars, but everyone just wants to pretend they are high class..... Since living in Melbourne and seeing their night/pub culture, its just enforced for me how bad Perth's is....

end rant.....

ps. I agree with Bum.

It is the bona fide lack of culture and credibility that screws the perth scene up, there is only so much makeup, spin and money people can bear, except for the aspiratinal middle class liberal voters who revel in it and tell their gormless buddies about it on face book

I would like to know if the applicant ban name a single IIPA, or RIS,

^ So true

WA has more money than sense.

I really want to start up a pub so if anyone wants to throw a lot of money at me at a huge risk of it all going pear shaped, be my guest!

Sounds like Mr Beadle has a very expensive wine bottle cork stuck up his pretentious arse. :lol: I like to go to a pub and not have to put on my Armani suit. Pizza and a pint is fine with me.
GB

In Perth most pubs start out good and then go downward very fast. For the majority we either have places like Carnegies which is full of scum, or snobby metro places that are way to pretentious.

How can he put down the Flying Scottsman? Just because it isn't a snobby establishment badly decorated with the latest chic' fashions. They have a fairly good range of beers, cheap food and a relaxed atmosphere! I think its 12 dollar pizza and a pint on Sunday and the pizzas are great (its better than paying 18bucks for a pint of Hoegaarden). We need more pubs like the scotto. What makes somewhere like Melbourne better in terms of pub culture is that they have them all over the place (and their food is better and cheaper).

I don't see how having heaps of snobby bars is going to make Perth's pub culture better. I am all for small bars, but everyone just wants to pretend they are high class..... Since living in Melbourne and seeing their night/pub culture, its just enforced for me how bad Perth's is....

end rant.....

ps. I agree with Bum.

mmmmm full of scum that is a bit harsh dont get me wrong Im not a fan of Carnegies not really into theme bars. Just like Im not into English/Irish/Scottish theme pubs in Australia pleasssssssssssse! How many do we really need. So no I wouldnt be throwing my money your way.

Sounds like Mr Beadle has a very expensive wine bottle cork stuck up his pretentious arse. :lol: I like to go to a pub and not have to put on my Armani suit. Pizza and a pint is fine with me.
GB

Yeah Im the same, but refuse to eat a pubs these days if I want a resturant Ill go to one. $20.00 for a burger who they kidding.

Yeah I suppose calling them scum was pretty harsh. I still wouldn't go there or associate with people who frequent such a place.

Maybe we need to start a perth pub grub thread to be more positive about perth pub culture because there are a few gems out there if you look for them. (I know there are pub threads but a Perth one would be good)

While it's great that small bars are starting to pop up throughout suburbia, it's such a shame that many of them seem to be trading on image rather than product. It sounds like Mr Beadle is determined to continue this trend.

I would love to see a hole-in-the-wall which offered an evolving selection of WA's best micros from the South-West and Swan Valley. You know, a place where you would go to have a beer and it would be about......well......the beer.

Malty - you wouldn't happen to be an eccentic millionare would you? Because thats what I want to open in somewhere like Mount Lawley etc... Getting the money together to do something like that is going to be a bitch.... :( Maybe we could knock down the Paddo and have something there? haha

It is the bona fide lack of culture and credibility that screws the perth scene up, there is only so much makeup, spin and money people can bear, except for the aspiratinal middle class liberal voters who revel in it and tell their gormless buddies about it on face book

I would like to know if the applicant ban name a single IIPA, or RIS,
Any one who gets "lack of culture and credibility" "perth" and "middle class liberal voters" into a single derogatory sentence deserves a medal. Could I vote for you?

Need more mid range quality pubs, along the lines of JB O'Reillys in West Leederville. Gets busy every night with a mix of decent folk, tourists, office workers, footy goers, tradesman before a certain time, students, and couples looking for a nice meal in the restaurant section.

What brings them there - casual atmosphere, very good food, good quality bar staff, well kept beer, decent prices, food/drink specials, entertainment, etc.

Most of these things are missing from most places around Perth. Freo seems to have it worked out a lot better though.

Latest posts

Back