Sludge in all grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys,

Yeah it was after the boil and no i didn't use any clearing agents this go round. Just wanted to keep things simple for my first crack.

I have a wort chiller coil that I just dropped into the wort in the kettle.

I'm interested in the technical side of things, very interesting. I'm trying not to overwhelm myself too much at the start and just pick up bits and pieces as I go. Appreciating all the help.

Thanks fellas,
So what was the SG and what volume just to be technical and what did you brew ? Recipe ?

So what was the SG and what volume just to be technical and what did you brew ? Recipe ?

Did a drsmurtos golden ale, SG of around 1.046. The recipe was a hybrid between a few from online and chatting to the guys at grain and grape. Volume wise, it was a little under my 20 litre target. Got to about 18.5 litre. So my conversion probably wasn't as good as it could have been but happy for a first time.

With the sludge and used hop pellets remember that this can be toxic to dogs and dispose of safely.

With the sludge and used hop pellets remember that this can be toxic to dogs and dispose of safely.

Thanks for the heads up, I did just tip it in the garden. Thought it might have been good for it. I think my dogs are too fussy to eat that sort of thing but I'll bin it in future

Now the slippery slope begins . You will improve on the numbers as you get more familiar with your system . All it is , is time .

Now the slippery slope begins . You will improve on the numbers as you get more familiar with your system . All it is , is time .

Thanks mate, really enjoying it so far and looking forward to the day I can make my own beers.

Any recommendations on some other All grain beers worth trying early on?

I was thinking of doing a couple for summer. Like the idea of a summer porter and read that they're not too hard. Was also thinking of trying a wheat beer but not sure what they're like to do. Apparently it helps to use rice hulls in them?

Really want to try a Irish red ale but maybe not for the coming months. I'm open to anything though.

Starting out, keep it simple!
By simple I mean few malts, few hops and uncomplicated temperature choices. Simple beer tends to be less expensive to make, it also allows you to identify problems if they aren't hiding behind buckets of hop, malt or yeast flavours.
My most recommended starting beer would be something like Coopers Pale Ale 1 Malt, 1Hop, 1 Hop addition, 1 Mash Temperature.
When you think its perfect - taste alongside the commercial example and make changes as needed.

If you have a good local home brew shop, talk to them, they to have a vested interest in you making better beer (happy customers keep coming back) You mentioned talking to G&G, they will help you if you ask.
Mark

I make an American wheatie which is easy drinking for the summer .
50% Pilsener Malt
50% Wheat malt
30 gms Pride of R/wood @ 60 min
10 gms Citra @15 min
10 gms Citra @ whirlpool
US - 05 yeast

Cheers

Starting out, keep it simple!
By simple I mean few malts, few hops and uncomplicated temperature choices. Simple beer tends to be less expensive to make, it also allows you to identify problems if they aren't hiding behind buckets of hop, malt or yeast flavours.
My most recommended starting beer would be something like Coopers Pale Ale 1 Malt, 1Hop, 1 Hop addition, 1 Mash Temperature.
When you think its perfect - taste alongside the commercial example and make changes as needed.

If you have a good local home brew shop, talk to them, they to have a vested interest in you making better beer (happy customers keep coming back) You mentioned talking to G&G, they will help you if you ask.
Mark

I'm about 3 1/2 hours from Melbourne but the local hbs guys suggested them over himself. The face to face experience would be ideal but I think he's more into dealing with blokes buying stuff out of a run.

I agree not to complicate things too much and I'm definitely conscious of that. It does seem fairly intuitive though, I've always loved making food and cooking and I think adding things at different times and playing with varying temperatures is all related to a certain degree.

Latest posts

Back