Slowly Getting Temp Down

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcleary

Reaction score
Last night I mixed up dextrose and corn syrup and simmered to mix all together and I let that cool then put the teabag hops in boilng water.
I then put the entire contents of can in fermenter added the mixture and filled fermenter to 23 ltrs with cold tap water to my surprise I checked the temp it was 30 deg I left it to cool naturally as we went out only to find it was about 28 when I got home.
I put the whole thing in my fermenting fridge and cooled it to about 26-27 deg I then stirred it and then sprinkled the yeast and mixed in.
I woke this morning and checked it and it was bubbling away nicely.
The question is is it ok to let it cool over a few hours as I had no ice and had to go out that night and do you think it will affect the overall brew as I now have it at a temp controlled fermenting fridge at 24 deg set with only 1 deg difference ?????

Your thoughts appreciated.
Big B

Last night I mixed up dextrose and corn syrup and simmered to mix all together and I let that cool then put the teabag hops in boilng water.
I then put the entire contents of can in fermenter added the mixture and filled fermenter to 23 ltrs with cold tap water to my surprise I checked the temp it was 30 deg I left it to cool naturally as we went out only to find it was about 28 when I got home.
I put the whole thing in my fermenting fridge and cooled it to about 26-27 deg I then stirred it and then sprinkled the yeast and mixed in.
I woke this morning and checked it and it was bubbling away nicely.
The question is is it ok to let it cool over a few hours as I had no ice and had to go out that night and do you think it will affect the overall brew as I now have it at a temp controlled fermenting fridge at 24 deg set with only 1 deg difference ?????

Your thoughts appreciated.
Big B

Howdy B!

There shouldn't be a problem there with the high pitching temperature. There's an opportunity for your yeast to throw some reasonably funky flavours, but considering it wasn't a huge amount of time, then it should be fine.

Since you have a fridge and a temperature controller, can I suggest you lower that temp down to 20deg? If you're using most ale yeasts, then you'll get much better results at the lower end of the temperature spectrum (18-20 deg).

What yeast are you using? Is it from the kit? Coopers? Then definitely lower it down to 20deg c for best results.

Edit: spelling

Big B
should all go well for you. As said 20 deg for kit yeasts if you can get it there.

I have and had no problems with making up my brew, putting it in the fermenting fridge to cool down over night and pitching the yeast the next day.
So I would think yours will be fine.

Cheers

I've had no problems either - i once had to wait about 6 hours for one to cool down as i don't have a fridge - as long as the top is covered to keep any nasties out i wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Cheers,
Hazwald

I've just gone through a similar situation with an extract brew i did on friday night - been trying to chill it down to 20deg since about midnight friday night. I put it in a cleaned & sterilised cube and then in my temperature controlled fridge with another beer that is currently mid fermentation.
I moved the wort from the cube to a clean fermenter yesterday (Sunday) & sealed it with an airlock, but didn't pitch the yeast as it was still around 30deg. This morning i checked it & it was still high 20s with the fridge being set at 20deg, this afternoon i decided i had waited long enough and decided to pitch the yeast. When i went to take the lid off of the fermenter i discovered quite a thick amount of krausen on top - but i haven't pitched any yeast yet. I've since pitched the yeast to see what happens.
There is a sort of funky smell coming out when I take the lid off - is it likely the beer is infected, how else would the krausen be there?

Back