Slow Death Of My Brewfridge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benhobbs

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I hoping one of the resident fridgies can help me with my brewfridge. I've had it about a year, bought it for the grand sum of $15 off ebay.... It worked perfectly up until recently, brewing many an ale at an externally regulated 18deg, and even a couple of lagers at much lower.

The compressor is still running, it doesn't sound any noiser/quieter/different than it did before. The separate freezer compartment is working perfectly, I just took a temp reading in there of -20.2DegC.. But the fridge isn't cooling at all. Infact, the fridge is currently warmer than the outside ambient temperature, probably due to a rather active ferment in there at the moment.

If I open the fridge door, I can hear lots of dripping and groaning type noises coming from the back where the chiller plate is, the plate isn't even cool to the touch now, but before it used to frost up and instantly stick to your skin if you were silly enough to touch it.

So, I am thinking that there is 2 different circuits for the cooling? and the one which goes to the fridge is blocked? Is there anything I can do about this?? Maybe pouring boiling water over it? Taking it for a ride in the back of the ute over the neighbourhood speedhumps to shake things loose?

My other option is to cut some holes between the freezer compartment and the fridge, but I would prefer to leave that to a last resort.

Thanks
Ben

Unplug it, let it completely thaw and then restart it.

when it gets back to temp in the freezer section see what the main compartment is like.

Quite often the transfer fan is the problem, could be a twin circuit fridge but if its more than 5 yrs old I doubt it.

Back