Slow Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using a fridge with a temperature controller- This is to control fermentation temperature's of your wort within a set range.

Example 18 degrees within plus or minus 0.5 degree, that's a 1 degree total variation.

This is the best way to utilize the type of yeasts used in different styles of beers. Lagers and Ales , and all their strains require different temp requirements.

Controllers - Inkbird brand has a few plug and play models that would suit your needs. You can even put your name down for the giveaway!!

STC-1000 is also a popular controller , but, you need to electrically wire this unit.

When you test / know that your beer has finished fermenting, Cold Crashing is used to fluctuate the beer and leave it clear and ready to keg or bottle. Doing this you might not need or want to use gelatine.

This is a great forum to help you understand brewing and allow you make choices to suit your needs.

What Crows said.

Inkbird controllers are the bee's knees, the little extra cost that goes a long way. There's a trending thread here on AHB where they're doing a giveaway / advertising their various models, go take a look.

If you're looking for a cheap and easy solution, again as Crows said, STC-1000 is your choice. Search it on eBay. You'll need to wire it yourself but (and I offer ZERO guarantees or warranties by this statement) I wired many up myself with no electrician qualifications and only destroyed one due to not reading instructions properly. For ~$13 you can't really go wrong.

Either controller you choose (there are others too), it's a set-and-forget situation. Probe goes in your fridge, fridge plus into your controller, tell the controller what temp you want it to be, and leave it there til FG. Personally I tape the probe to the side of the fermenter but IDK if that actually helps at all.

And as for the Beer God thing.. thanks mate but I think the forum just attributes those titles automatically, depending on how many posts you've made. Many here could argue that my posts are about quantity more than quality :lol:

I think it's better having the probe taped to the side of the FV, preferably underneath some packing foam or similar. From taking the temperature of SG samples (and factoring in temp increase due to room temp test jar), it's actually pretty bloody close. A lot closer than guessing what to set the ambient inside the fridge to at various stages of fermentation.

I looked at one of those Inkbird controllers recently although I don't need one at the moment. The one I looked at used an STC-1000 controller, so I don't know if any of the other models use the STC or not but if they do then they're the same thing - it's just one is pre-wired. :p

Back