Sleepless Nights - Canberra All Grain Brewer Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIAB
Would it make a difference?

Getting slightly off topic, but ive no idea about BIAB but with a mashtun you mash with 2.5/3 litres of water per kilo of grain. No wonder carboy is getting confused.
Cheers
Steve

Edit: ...and sparge with approx the same amount

Forgive me, but in spite or Brewer Pete's comprehensive description, theres one more thing I need to know. Say we are doing a 25L batch, dose the volume of liquid matter ( within reason, of course ) as long as the grain quanity is there?
What Im getting at is can I do the the mash in say 10L of water, drain, boil, chill, add to the fermenter and then just top up to 25L to make up the volume as you would with a kit / extract? Or is not doing a full boil missing the point of the excercise?

Sorry Dave, I was oversimplifying it to show how easy it is to brew All Grain without going down to the level of

1) Boil some grass seeds in water
2) Cool it down and throw in the yeast

Which is all it really is when you think about it :) Everything in between those two steps can get as complicated as you want to learn and apply to getting from step 1 to step 2.

That example was for 5 kilograms of grain. There are some additional minor calculations to take into account for how much water the grains will soak up and take out of the pot and then how much to start with in the pot to get an end result of say 25Litres or 23Litres or any Litres.. You add up all your losses and it shows you how much water to add on top of your desired amount of final liquid volume.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

1) Boil some grass seeds in water
2) Cool it down and throw in the yeast

Grass seeds eh??

simpsons-trivia.gif

Hey Carboy,

i will be doing my version of an AG brew within the next week or so (2 vessel BIAB) so if you would like to come and help feel free, my schedule is flexible so let me know, i live in Hall so not to far for you to travel.

Also you can make AG brewing as simple or as complicated as you like, i did my first AG on my 12th brew, no stopping me now!

cheers cozmo

Room for another participant Cozmo? I live in Nicholls and could walk to Hall if it wasn't for some bottles of my efforts to date for you & Carboy to sample. ie. kit, kit & bits, extract, steepings & mini-mash.

cheers thylacine

Room for another participant Cozmo? I live in Nicholls and could walk to Hall if it wasn't for some bottles of my efforts to date for you & Carboy to sample. ie. kit, kit & bits, extract, steepings & mini-mash.

cheers thylacine

Carboy and thylacine.

I'll be doing an AG brew on Sunday 2 August. All welcome. I will start a new thread.
Cheers
Steve

Carboy and thylacine.

I'll be doing an AG brew on Sunday 2 August. All welcome. I will start a new thread.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

Count me in :) we will chat closer to the day.

I spent this morning with "Tourist" and learnt heaps.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to show me light (Dark Side) :ph34r:

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

PS: The Minister for Domestic Affairs is looking a me sideways.... should I be scared?

Carboy and thylacine.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve. Would be there but it is Mrs Rumpoles b'day the 2nd. ie 'she who must be obeyed...'

Thanks Steve. Would be there but it is Mrs Rumpoles b'day the 2nd. ie 'she who must be obeyed...'

Bring 'er in doors along. She can sit on a camp chair for 4 hours. She'll be well impressed!

Firstly as the President of the Canberra brewers i say

COME TO A MEETING

We have a fantastic education program running this year, you will learn heaps. I brew all the time, more than happy to have you come along.

Craig

thylacine, i have organized with carboy to do a brew on saturday the 1st at 11am, if you would like to join us your more than welcome, let me know and i will pm you my details.

and stagger, i have been meaning to come to a meeting but with kids it makes it a bit tough sometimes, but i will be there i can assure you! hopefully the next one which is next thursday? at 7.30?

thylacine, i have organized with carboy to do a brew on saturday the 1st at 11am, if you would like to join us your more than welcome, let me know and i will pm you my details.

and stagger, i have been meaning to come to a meeting but with kids it makes it a bit tough sometimes, but i will be there i can assure you! hopefully the next one which is next thursday? at 7.30?

yes thanks, ie. 1/8 @ 11

cheers

Yes we meet first Thursday each month.

Hi Craig,

Work commitments have stopped me from attending a meeting this year. That said, I will be taking a week off when your next meeting is on so I will be there for sure.

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

Work commitments have stopped me from attending a meeting this year. That said, I will be taking a week off when your next meeting is on so I will be there for sure.

I'm not sure exactly what you think goes on at a Canberra Brewers meeting, but I think I speak for everyone when I say you won't need a week off afterwards. A few days maybe, but definitely not an entire week.

Back