Sitting in my local....and..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Went into my local today,about lunch time.

Sat at the bar, ordered a beer and commented to the barlady about the local newspaper photographer taking pics in the beer garden.

"Nothing unusual about Adam ( the photographer ) taking pics in the beer garden, must be doing a strory for the paper" she responded.

Ordered another beer,thought nothing of it.

Then the photographer came inside and tool some pics of the guy holding up a book. Nothing unusual.

Then the bloke came up to the bar and orded a beer. So I asked him whats going on. "Im getting some pics done for the weekly magazine cover for the book I just wrote." ....so I asked " what book". He put the book on the bar " Confesssons of a Qantas airline attendant"...sweet...

Then Lyn, the barlady pipes up..." you know on facebook that story that gets posted about the black fella being upgraded to first class beacause some women complained that she didnt want to sit next to a black man....is that true...? "

To which he replied.. "He was on.my flight. We asked him to grab his bag because the women had complained. ......He had no idea he was being moved to first class...he was really shocked..."

He then showed us the book and chapter of said folklore incident..

Small world sometimes..

I stayed and had a few more beers.

I am going to his book signing on the 30th July at the local gallery. Not often you get the chance if something like that...

Here is his book

http://www.randomhouse.com.au/books/owen-beddall/confessions-of-a-qantas-flight-attendant-true-tales-and-gossip-from-the-galley-9780857982193.aspx

yeah there is probably a lot of stuff in that book that the general public doesnt know goes on, and is likely very interesting. However, I was sitting down the back of a plane the other week and in the row in front was an off duty flight attendant telling the passenger next to her that turbulence is just bubbles in the air. I dont think he bought it but anyway, some of those cabin crew are as generally perceived..... not all that intelligent. Believe what you will! There are the odd bunch who are smart though (covering my ass here).

The smart ones fly the aircraft and never let on about anything.

I was on a flight where someone was really sick due to motion. The hostie asked me to move. "You are in the best seat on the plane for motion stability. Would you mind letting this sick lady take your seat?" So I said "Um.... where will I sit?" "Dont worry" she said. "We'll look after you" So I replied "Sure, no problem" First class, here I come........Nope. They put me right down the back left corner, where the wall bent in far enough that my head touched it and I had to sit crook necked for another 4 hours. Look after me??? They gave me a bottle of red wine from 1st class... Lesson learnt. Tell them to **** off and be sick somewhere else.

mckenry said:
I was on a flight where someone was really sick due to motion. The hostie asked me to move. "You are in the best seat on the plane for motion stability. Would you mind letting this sick lady take your seat?" So I said "Um.... where will I sit?" "Dont worry" she said. "We'll look after you" So I replied "Sure, no problem" First class, here I come........Nope. They put me right down the back left corner, where the wall bent in far enough that my head touched it and I had to sit crook necked for another 4 hours. Look after me??? They gave me a bottle of red wine from 1st class... Lesson learnt. Tell them to **** off and be sick somewhere else.
Should of traded the bottle of red for the first class seat and told her u dont want to sit next to a line up of people waiting to take a s%$t!

They are different.

My cuz is a full on comercial pilot. Flown Mongolia,South & Central America. New Guinea...now flies miners in WA in a Dash 8.

The flight attendant, Owen, is the real deal. He is, as they say, camp.

Lovely bloke, have seen him in the pub lots of times ( well he lives here in Grafton ).

Just never knew what he did, and didnt really care, he is just a local.

Its just interesting when you find out there is more to a person than meets the eye, and the stories they can tell...

Country towns are full of people like that.

But we really dont care.

Vini2ton said:
The smart ones fly the aircraft and never let on about anything.
I grew up with a mate who is now flying passenger jets. He'd tear your theory to shreds!

I still remember my first plane trip had a smokers section down the back. Even though I smoked for 20 yrs and been off them for a few (with the odd one here and there) it still amazes me how overpowering a room full of smokers can be. I reckon banning smoking in public places is one of the greatest advancements in my time.

mckenry said:
They did you a favour putting you down the back,safest place on a plane.....ever heard of a plane reversing into a mountain.

spog said:
They did you a favour putting you down the back,safest place on a plane.....ever heard of a plane reversing into a mountain.
Hah. That's great!

I assure you that if the bottle of wine was actually from first class that it would have been worth at least $300. Had a similar deal and the bottle we got given was over this value.

Anyone flown around in the little planes in PNG, Fuk me that's an experience.

shaunous said:
Anyone flown around in the little planes in PNG, Fuk me that's an experience.
Yep. Landed on a runway which was on the side of a hill, too. That would take some skill.

booker_h said:
Yep. Landed on a runway which was on the side of a hill, too. That would take some skill.
Where was that, not in the Southern Highlands was it?

My cousin's a pilot for SAA and to supplement their income the flight stewards had this smuggling operation, IIRC it was drugs, going on between Joburg and London. Got nicked and everybody was arrested including the pilots and investigated in London.

Heavy drinker my cousin and gets aggressive when drunk. Good fun.

This story reminds me of a book I once read (that had a UK TV series made based on it) called Hotel Babylon. Everything in the book actually happened, albeit over a whole career rather than 24 hours. I guess I find the true stories the most interesting/enertaining.

verysupple said:
I guess I find the true stories the most interesting/enertaining.
that's often also to do with the fact that you actually know (or believe) that they're true stories, as opposed to made up ones.
I say often as it does not always have to be the case.

Florian said:
that's often also to do with the fact that you actually know (or believe) that they're true stories, as opposed to made up ones.
I say often as it does not always have to be the case.
Good point. I trust Ducatiboy stu isn't BSing us so I like the story. :)

I automatically assumed your comment was in reference to the TV show you mentioned, not the original post.

I would of course never question the integrity of Ducatiboy Stu.

I am going to the book launch & signing on the 30th of this month.

Latest posts

Back