Single hop Galaxy IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coxy

Reaction score
I just poured the last glass of this out of my keg of this, and I'm very sad about it.

This is the first beer I've used my new keg setup for, and also the first truly original recipe I've tried beyond making minor modifications/substitutions to others. It's very simple, but by far the best beer that I've made thus far, so figured I'd share the recipe and gather thoughts/suggestions. I decided to make a few beers which were single hop, or at least single flavour/aroma hop, to help my palate identify them. Thus was born my Galaxy IPA.

Style: IPA (can't really call it American or English as it is Aussie hop based, but it's definitely closer in taste to American)
Batch size: 20L
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.013
ABV: 6.1%
IBU: 64
EBC: 30
Boil Length: 60 min

Fermentables:
4.2kg Maris Otter
0.4kg Crystal Light
0.4kg Munich Light

Hops:
60min 17g Galaxy(14.7AA)
30min 15g Galaxy
10min 13g Galaxy
Dry Hop 15g Galaxy for 7 days in secondary

Yeast: US-05

Mash Temp: 66 (edit: single infusion, 60 minutes)
Fermentation: 10 days primary at 18C; 7 days secondary at 18C

The final product was slightly darker than expected but not quite heading into the IRA style and out of IPA, but I thought this gave it a bit more maltiness and helped balance the bitterness well.

I thought Galaxy held up very well as a bittering hop. The bitterness was not harsh, and the sweet aroma from late/dry hops was fantastic.

Cheers and enjoy it if you try it.

Coxy

Latest posts

Back