Single Hop Beers(info Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is apparently a wiki topic discussion, but I'm unable to find the corresponding wiki page. anyone know where it went?

Dunno, had to use the search function :rolleyes: to find it as well.

helped a mate brew this the other day:

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % When
German Pilsner Malt 4.40 kg 96.7 % In Mash/Steeped
German Melanoidin Malt 0.15 kg 3.3 % In Mash/Steeped
Hops
Variety Alpha Amount Form When
NZ Sticklebract 12.0 16 g Pelletized Hops All Of Boil
NZ Sticklebract 12.0 5 g Pelletized Hops 5 Min From End

quite surprised how good the old Sticklebract smells as the pellets hit the wort.
I recently made a lager using almost exclusively Sticklebract, with a tiny bit of Hallertau. The lager itself turned out dry bodied, accentuating the hops moreso. Has a pugent 'pine-cone' like aroma to it, citrusy, some tropical fruitiness with an underlying woodiness. Bit brutal on the taste buds with a grassy, woody bitterness, but some nice fruitiness i'd liken to passionfruit and lemon peel. Never tried anything like it before to be honest.

I tasted my All Saaz Pale Ale this arvo

4.5kg BB Ale malt
500gm wheat

90gms Saaz @60Mins (2.2% AA)
45gms Saaz @ 15mins
45gms Saaz @ 5mins

Tastes AWSOME....

Summer'ish style ale, single hop, single malt variety, quite drinkable.

5 kg pale ale malt
15g cascade FWH 90min
25g cascade boil 80 minutes
15g cascade boil 20 minutes
20g cascade boil 5 minutes
25g cascade 0 minutes

Definately showcases the hops and tastes great, even though the american varieties aren't among my favourites. A lot of flavour for a very pale beer.

Cheers
Andrew

I too have made all Saaz ale.

Came out awesome. I didn't really know what to expect. Highly recomended. Fermented at 20C

5.50 kg Powells Pilsner (Powells Malts) (3.0 EBC) Grain 90.16 %
0.30 kg Powells Caramalt (Powells Malt) (22.0 EBC) Grain 4.92 %
0.30 kg Powells Wheat (Powells Malts) (2.0 EBC) Grain 4.92 %
78.00 gm Saaz [3.50 %] (60 min) Hops 25.2 IBU
28.00 gm Saaz [3.50 %] (30 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
28.00 gm Saaz [3.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
28.00 gm Saaz [3.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
28.00 gm Saaz [3.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.25 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Used a US 56 dry.

cheers
johnno

I just tapped a brew last week using 100% BB ale malt, 100% NZ Green Bullet flowers for bittering, flavour, aroma and a Nottingham dried yeast satchel.

Turned out to be a pretty good drop.... NZ Grn Bullets have some wonderful aroma/taste qualities a wells as it's obvious high bittering properties.

Good news Devo. :beer:

Makes you feel good testing the old brewing skills on something simple too... Not many places for the mistakes to hide on beers like that.

Warren -

I just tapped a brew last week using 100% BB ale malt, 100% NZ Green Bullet flowers for bittering, flavour, aroma and a Nottingham dried yeast satchel.

Turned out to be a pretty good drop.... NZ Grn Bullets have some wonderful aroma/taste qualities a wells as it's obvious high bittering properties.

Similar to??? What would you liken it to comparatively?

Similar to??? What would you liken it to comparatively?

Well the bitterness is smoother like Horizons rather than say POR! Not as stabby. But with regards to flavour/aroma...as I said before faint lemon/pine which seems consistent with other descriptions I've read about this variety. I can't say comparatively because honestly it's qualities are new to me compared to other hops I've used in the past.

Might try this one Devo - what size were the hop additions?

Might try this one Devo - what size were the hop additions?

winkle

I posted it in the recipe section of this site as "Devo's GB Ale".

BTW I had 10 of my mates over the other night for a poker game and they preferred the GB over my APA hop fantastic. They also killed 2.5 corny kegs of homebrew!

G'day all.

I really like the idea of single hop beers. Couple months back me and my brother whipped a brew inspired by Rogue's Brutal Bitter, ie. all Crystal hops. Turned out a real winner, the bitterness was clean as and it had a really nice floral hop flavour/aroma. I should have got to the keg earlier though as by the time the bulk of it was drunk much of the hop aroma was gone.

Just cracked the first pot from a another brew I did and am not as happy. I reckon this baby was sitting on the trub for a little too long. Had a few complications because this was my first AG by myself. I hopped it with 90g of Columbus and was expecting it to be off the Richter, but it's surprisingly tame. Not much hop aroma even though I through 30gs in at knock off. Maybe I should chuck some B Saaz in the keg. There are a few suspect flavours as well from sitting a warm fermentor for a little too long I think. Might be one to throw at a party.

I'm real keen on NZ hops at the moment, might give GB a try next time. I'd try your GB Ale Devo but I reckon I need to refine my brew day before going for that.

Happy brewing,

popdog

BTW I had 10 of my mates over the other night for a poker game and they preferred the GB over my APA hop fantastic. They also killed 2.5 corny kegs of homebrew!

and you still call them friends :eek: ??

Ta Devo, looks go should put one down next week - might use galaxy as the base malt though :unsure:

Got to try a bottle of this the other day courtesy of Devo... Highly recommend GB as a single hop. I'm doing me a batch of this soon. :beerbang:

The dry hop character was bloody brilliant. :wub:

Warren -

Latest posts

Back