Single Hop Beers(info Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a large bag of Perle (6% alpha) a few weeks back and find its a nice little hop. Have used it solely in my last two kegs (a porter and a mild) and reckon its okay. Used both for bitterness and aroma. Am enjoying the effort. Will be sick of it soon though !!!

Got to try a bottle of this the other day courtesy of Devo... Highly recommend GB as a single hop. I'm doing me a batch of this soon. :beerbang:

The dry hop character was bloody brilliant. :wub:

Warren -

+1 thanks for the recipe Devo. Had to restrain myself from consuming too many samples before it's cleared up :icon_cheers:

cheers winkle

I just finished the last bottled version on the weekend :( I may do a double batch of this next time around.

Any one done 100% Target brew, maybe an IPA?

Looking for feedback

now that sounds interesting, I've only ever used em for bittering.

I've wanted to do one of those for a while! Never tried target hops but wychwood in the UK do one that has inspired me. Go here and click on the circlemaster label. I think we might have a bit of trouble getting plumage archer malt though... :unsure:

Heres a quick description of my Ahtanum and Simcoe Blonde ales.

First up Ahtanum is not a replacement for any american 'C' hop! I dont get any citrus and find it nearly neutral, if anything it is a bit woody and reminds me more of williamette.

Simcoe on the other hand is bloody gorgeous :chug: very fruity and sweetish but not citrus like the C hops. This is a must try for all apa lovers.

I've wanted to do one of those for a while! Never tried target hops but wychwood in the UK do one that has inspired me. Go here and click on the circlemaster label. I think we might have a bit of trouble getting plumage archer malt though... :unsure:

Found THIS as well, a bit of a mixed review.

Just found this as well. Sounds a bit basic but guess anything we get here won't be exactly fresh. Its still on my ever-lengthening "to do" list...

Heres a quick description of my Ahtanum and Simcoe Blonde ales.

First up Ahtanum is not a replacement for any american 'C' hop! I dont get any citrus and find it nearly neutral, if anything it is a bit woody and reminds me more of williamette.

Simcoe on the other hand is bloody gorgeous :chug: very fruity and sweetish but not citrus like the C hops. This is a must try for all apa lovers.

I'm with you on the Ahtanum Jye, I got some off Ross when he first got it in and when I made an APA with it I thought it was very ordinary, still got most of it left at the back of the freezer.

cheers

Browndog

So continuing with the Ahtanum digression then, Jye and Browndog, and other users, where would you place this hop? As a willamette type use, in an English/US hybrid perhaps. Stick to bittering?
I have a 90g pack sitting unopened in the freezer...

Any one done 100% Target brew, maybe an IPA?

Looking for feedback

Lowtech

Only used them mainly as a bittering hop. Do the job wonderfully well in that guise. Only late additions I've ever used was in a Porter and I couldn't detect too much through the roast.

Most spec sheets seem to encourage their use as a late hop. My gut reaction is you'd have no problems at all. :)

I'd say they probably get a wide berth due to the fact there's at least 4 other English varieties that seem to be favoured in their place.

Warren -

So continuing with the Ahtanum digression then, Jye and Browndog, and other users, where would you place this hop? As a willamette type use, in an English/US hybrid perhaps. Stick to bittering?
I have a 90g pack sitting unopened in the freezer...

Ive used ahtanum a few times and had very limited results, i'm not a fan at all.
I'd probably double Jye's comment of "woody" and nearly call it overly dry/woody to the point of having a dirt type flavour, if that makes sense.
definately wont be buying that hop again.. especially as an alternative to cascade... bah.! tisn't even close.

I'll echo KoNG's comments there... I bought a bunch of it thinking it was a cascade equivalent. That's what the blurb said anyway. It has a bit of an "American" flavour (ie C hop) but its more of a piney low alpha version of something like Chinnook. Gives you quite a shock when you jam an APA-style quantity of it into a brew I must say.

Never again. Its hops like these that bring me to the conclusion that the staple hop variaties (like cascade) are staples for a reason.

Well, I'll be the lone voice in the wilderness and back Ahtanum. I've only used it the once but it certainly seemed a reasonable hop to me. I used it in a rye pale ale, single hop beer. The hop flavour seemed to me to me definitely along the C hop line, but on the mellow side and worked well with the rye. It did pretty well in the Bitter and Twisted comp and the comments suggested the hop flavour was good, 'complex fruit aromas', 'sweet hop aroma'. All in all, they liked Ahtanum and so should you. :p

ok...
on the weekend, i plan to brew an english pale ale with all slov styrian plugs.
brewed what is the same beer a few weeks back at T.D.'s using Hall Mitt plugs.. and it is divine.! yep i say so myself.
Keg is nearly empty now :( Good thing is that, T.D. hasnt tapped his keg yet :) :party:

This will be my first attempt at bittering and late additions with styrian, should be interesting.
anyone else done it...???

ok...
on the weekend, i plan to brew an english pale ale with all slov styrian plugs.
brewed what is the same beer a few weeks back at T.D.'s using Hall Mitt plugs.. and it is divine.! yep i say so myself.
Keg is nearly empty now :( Good thing is that, T.D. hasnt tapped his keg yet :) :party:

This will be my first attempt at bittering and late additions with styrian, should be interesting.
anyone else done it...???

Ye of short memory (SSB)

Do it and be forever happy. 'Tis good. :D

Warren -

Ahh Styrian... what a great hop. I have never bittered with it, but I'm sure it would do the job nicely - particularly knowing how nice it is late (including dry hopping, ahh so good!) :D

I'll be breaking out the Mittlefrueh plugs again this weekend if possible. Also be breaking out the keg of pale ale! :lol:

Ye of short memory (SSB)

Do it and be forever happy. 'Tis good. :D

Warren -

yeh but that wasnt bittered with styrian.!?!?!, this is the single hop thread Warren... :p

Alot of my previous bitters have been festooned with lots of late styrian.!
so i agree, i'm sure it will be good.

yeh but that wasnt bittered with styrian.!?!?!, this is the single hop thread Warren... :p

Alot of my previous bitters have been festooned with lots of late styrian.!
so i agree, i'm sure it will be good.

Ah crap! <_<

I forgot that the 60 min addy was Target... Scuse'em-wah. I'll go back in mah box now. :lol:

Edit Festooned??? hahahaha wordsmith.

Warren -

Back