Singapore 2012

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnw

Reaction score
I searched the forum and there hasn't been a thread on Singapore for a few years.

Has anyone got some recent tips and advice on getting your fill of beer and food in Singapore. I am visiting a good mate in two weeks who works too many hours over there to suss these things out for me. I have been to Singapore before for a few days earlier in the year and managed to get to Brewerkz for a pint of Honey Apricot Ale and a tower of Golden Ale. There food that night was a great accompaniment to the beer. We missed the Pump House that night as they didnt have a TV for the footy, but did manage to drag the wifeys to Hooters on the walk home for a bit of innocent fun.

Anyways, I am looking for tips on where to get a good pint (Preferably not something I can get in Australia) and also where some great eating places are with preferably cheap local beer (Tiger, Anchor)

We aren't the fancy folk who enjoy 5 star dining, we prefer to eat where locals eat to get a better feel of their culture.

I will be staying on River Valley Road near Great World City.

i will be there in two weeks also and very interested if anyone has some hot spots for good beer!

i remember a few years ago when i was there visiting a craft brewery on a canal that was quite good, will do a quick search and look it up now

as for cheap good food you are spoilt for choice, with the different cultures living in the relativley small area of singapore you can get some great street food at next to nothing! Indian.. malay... chinese.... mmmm cant wait!

i will be there in two weeks also and very interested if anyone has some hot spots for good beer!

i remember a few years ago when i was there visiting a craft brewery on a canal that was quite good, will do a quick search and look it up now

as for cheap good food you are spoilt for choice, with the different cultures living in the relativley small area of singapore you can get some great street food at next to nothing! Indian.. malay... chinese.... mmmm cant wait!

Heading there for the first time in a couple of weeks also. My hotel is close to this place http://www.tawandang.com/ and was going to check it out. I can't vouch for it and dont know anyone who has been there, but it's stumbling distance from my hotel so it would be rude not to visit.

We went this year, get yourself down to china town near the markets and there are a ton of cafe style restaurants that spill onto the side walk. The food is awesome and cheap and the menus are all photos so you just point at what you want. Ask for a beer and every time you finish a large bottle another one magically appears.

Absolutely loved the place.

I can't point you in the direction of craft beers, I'm sure they're available but I didn't go looking for them. From Jan this year:

Beer ranges in price very wildly in Singapore. A 10oz glass of beer at a hotel bar can easily set you back $15.00 or more. The cheapest place for beer is Chinatown about $6.00 for a big bottle of icey cold Tiger beer or Singha beer if you prefer. Not much choice I'm afraid. Don't be tempted to buy the tap beer in the food halls, the beer can be old and usually it's not poured very well either and they short change you with half a glass of froth.

Raffles bar is worth a visit for the famous Singapore Sling. One will set you back around $36.00 ( Jan 2012), worth the experience - Once.

Clarks Quay is good and prices are middle of the road through to expensive. Food in Chinatown is good and cheap along with the beer. Food in the Indian section is something we avoided - let your eyes do the talking but I wouldn't eat there. There's some good food in the Muslim section but no booze of course. Orchard road is expensive for everything. Of course it depends on what you're there for, there's lots of things to do so beer for me was way down the list.

Steve

i also remeber going to a german brewery/tap house somewhere in the city that was really good, this looks like it
http://www.paulaner-brauhaus.com/singapore/pictures

another i found that i will be checking out but cant vouch for

http://www.archipelagobrewery.com/

edit... more links...

Paulaner, kinda small, not a great atmosphere but good beer as expected.

Archipelago - This was awesome from what it looks like according to their website these days. I had been there every time I had been in Singapore. Awesome food at the queen annd mangosteen if thats what you're into. Their Calamansi Lime Wit was stellar. Unfortunately it looks like there has been a complete reshuffle of their beer lineup and have gone full retard mainstream. Almost all of their beers had a south east asian twist on then. Doesn't appear to be that way anymore. :(

Beer ranges in price very wildly in Singapore. A 10oz glass of beer at a hotel bar can easily set you back $15.00 or more. The cheapest place for beer is Chinatown about $6.00

One thing I remember from when I was there last year is that when you're out, beer prices increase as the night goes on - something to do with the structure of their tax. So by 11pm you could be paying double for the same beer you had at 6pm.

You can get food everywhere in Singapore. The best places are the food courts (called Food Republic) in the shopping centres. The best ones are on the top floor of Vivo City and bottom floor of ION. They have set them up by getting all the best hawker stands in Singapore and inviting them to serve their specialty dishes. A big plus is that they are all in air conditioning, remembering that Singapore is very hot and humid.

One thing that you must promise to do is go to a shop called Bread Talk and get yourself a Fire Floss bun. You will be amazed and they are as addictive as heroin. Last time I was there I think that I ate 47 of them. God damn they are good.

My last time there was 2008. Fond memories of a beef tongue pie while it rained and Guinness foreign extra stout on tap that for some reason tasty very fresh. Haven't had it as nice before or since. Otherwise I didn't find to much in the way of beer. The street foods reputation speaks for itself.

You must go to "four floors"..... Trust me... It is funny! Start at the top floor and work your way down!
Only open after dark! B)

You must go to "four floors"..... Trust me... It is funny! Start at the top floor and work your way down!
Only open after dark! B)

Bahhahaha! That's a great place to get a cold beer!

Looking at your sig is your name Cameron Toomey if so did you go to Iona?

Bahhahaha! That's a great place to get a cold beer!

Looking at your sig is your name Cameron Toomey if so did you go to Iona?

Yeah mate it sure is..... Went to Iona and lived at Gumdale as well! I'm trying to think of the Nathan's that I went to school with but not sure which one you may be???

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

I have 6 days there so should be able to find some new ground on the beer front and great food to recommend to future travellers.

I did once speak to a bloke who told me about the 'not too far out of the city' hawkers huts where the beers are a lot cheaper due to them driving it across the border from non muslim areas. These huts are located in the red light districts too. If I find such places and come back alive, I'll draw a mud map for everyone's reference.

We were there a couple of years back. China town was our best spot for lunch and dinner, food stalls everywhere, excellent food and cheap. As Andrew mentioned, long necks of beer while your eating is a must. I'll never forget my wife put in a tablespoon of this chilli into my soup, **** it was hot I was dripping with sweat by the time I finished. It's also on the train line, so transport is easy. The train system is easy to use, get yourself a card and you just tap on/tap off and it works out heaps cheaper than buying tickets, and they are very frequent. Also just up from China town (can't remember I think it was 2 stops) is Little India. Also worth a visit, it's a very different world in it's own place. We did find a German beer place on Orchard road, but I can't remember the name. The beer and food was great but the $ added up very quickly.

QldKev

Was a while since I have been there and was driven around most of the time however I do remember going to this place which can be affordable and at least interesting and they do have some good beers
Beer market

As the name suggests it works like a stock market for beers the more people buy a beer the more expensive it is etc etc and they introduce new beers throughout the night.
You can sometimes watch a beer your keen on for a while drop and get a bargain. Also there are lots of food options around this place mostly fast food western crap but food it is.

Was a while since I have been there and was driven around most of the time however I do remember going to this place which can be affordable and at least interesting and they do have some good beers
Beer market

As the name suggests it works like a stock market for beers the more people buy a beer the more expensive it is etc etc and they introduce new beers throughout the night.
You can sometimes watch a beer your keen on for a while drop and get a bargain. Also there are lots of food options around this place mostly fast food western crap but food it is.

Where have I seen their logo before? <_<

There's pretty much good food to be had all over Singapore. But the last time I went to a brew-pub there was in ..., uh, (thinking) let's say 15 years ago. I like the "Little India" area very much, and when I travel for work I try stay here to break long haul flights, just for the sleeping. There's a million places to eat, and - as with everywhere, the non-touristy places are best. I had to stay in a hotel in the red-light district once (some conference booked nearly everything out). Apart from the presence of the street girls, it wasn't a whole lot different to the rest of Singapore, in terms of fine food anyway. Currently the SING$ is down against the AUD$, so you can get a great meal quite cheaply - but even when it was 1:1, food was never expensive. I'll have to search out the above-mentioned brew pubs next time.

I searched the forum and there hasn't been a thread on Singapore for a few years.

Has anyone got some recent tips and advice on getting your fill of beer and food in Singapore. I am visiting a good mate in two weeks who works too many hours over there to suss these things out for me. I have been to Singapore before for a few days earlier in the year and managed to get to Brewerkz for a pint of Honey Apricot Ale and a tower of Golden Ale. There food that night was a great accompaniment to the beer. We missed the Pump House that night as they didnt have a TV for the footy, but did manage to drag the wifeys to Hooters on the walk home for a bit of innocent fun.

Anyways, I am looking for tips on where to get a good pint (Preferably not something I can get in Australia) and also where some great eating places are with preferably cheap local beer (Tiger, Anchor)

We aren't the fancy folk who enjoy 5 star dining, we prefer to eat where locals eat to get a better feel of their culture.

I will be staying on River Valley Road near Great World City.
I was just in Tuaz dock yard and there was a little place up the road with food and cold Tiger beer for $5 for 600ml and food was cheap like $3 for a meal. You can go to a place in the city called peoples park and get really good food and cheap tiger beer. Most of the meals there are $3.30 and the beers are $5 for 600ml. Thats where i went a couple of times. Avoid Brewerkz in clark quay, I tried some of there beers and they were $18 a pint and pretty average if you ask me. Although clark key is expensive there are a couple of bars there selling craft beer on tap and in bottles such as Aventinus so it's worth having a look if you fel like spending some coin.
Good luck mate singapore is a great city with amazing food.

Back