Simple Recipe Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adz2332

Reaction score
Hey all,

Will be putting a brew together sat. So heading to the brew shop tonight...
Im not after a grain beer.. Just a simple kit and add ons, if you know what i mean.
Havent set my heart on anything but i dont like stout lol....

Any ideas? For a beer that has worked for you?

Thanks
Adam

Nice one I have on tap ATM is a pretty simple one. Coopers Real Ale goo, 150g Caraaroma 30g Styrian Goldings in the fermenter, fermented with Wyeast 1968 @ 20 for 2 weeks. I was pretty surprised at how well it turned out actually

Edit: Was a 21 litre batch

Simple you say....

When I first started brewing I wanted the same thing, something simple and something nice.

I am a huge fan of a hoppy pale ale so I gave this one a bash. Truth is a lot of people say (me included) that Cascade spend more money on the outside of the can than the inside.
I have made this about 14 times 'cos I honestly enjoy it so much and it is p*ss easy.

1 Can Imperial Voyage Pale Ale
1.3Kg Light Liquid Malt Extract
300g Maltodextrin (Corn Syrup)
15 Grams Cascade Hops. Added before fermentation. Boil the pellets in 200-400 mL of water or 10% malt extract solution for 15-20 minutes, strain into the fermenter, press the liquid out of the hops).
S-04 Yeast.

I got this recipe straight off their website but looking at my brewing notes in the past the only thing I have changed on 3 occassions is I doubled the Cascade hops in one batch with good results.

Hmmmm doesnt have some of that stuff so, instead how does this sound....

COOPERS INTERNATIONAL Pale ale
Morgans Liquid Malt 1.5kg
Cascade hops
Malto Dextrin
Safale S04

I'd swap the yeast for US-05 and ditch the malto dextrine. The malto dextrine will just add body which an all malt brew will have enough off, IMO anyway. Cascade hops go well with the Pale Ale kit.

Edit: speelangzz

1 can Coopers Sparkling ale
dextrose 500g
LME 500g
Amarillo 25g in 500ml of water boiled for 20mins
us-05 or any ale yeast really

if you want you can also dry hop about 10g of fuggles.

enjoy,

Aaron

Also, not meaning to sound like an a**hole, the recipe database is chocked full of extract brews, some are really good and you can refine what you look at ie only extract/ales. Great resource

Aaron

edit;forgot yeast

sparkling sounds good actually!

when you say Amarillo 25g in 500ml of water boiled for 20mins.. you boil it in it. and strain it out of the water and tip the water in? do you reali press hard to get all the water etc or what

Chuck the 500g of LME in there as well. Don't bother straining out the hops, they'll settle to the bottom of the fermenter

Chuck the 500g of LME in there as well. Don't bother straining out the hops, they'll settle to the bottom of the fermenter

Chuck the 500g of LME in the 500ml boiling water with the Amarillo 25g ?

awsome thanks!! Will be giving it a go tomorrow then!!

1 can Coopers Sparkling ale
dextrose 500g
LME 500g
Amarillo 25g in 500ml of water boiled for 20mins
Safale us-05

thanks guys!

How much difference does it make using the US-05 as opposed to the kit yeast?

I've only ever used kit yeasts.

How much difference does it make using the US-05 as opposed to the kit yeast?

I've only ever used kit yeasts.

The yeast under the lid could have been sitting there for the past three years. Best to buy fresh yeast.
Cheers
Steve

yeah kit yeast is good for ginger beer i hear, you might wanna try some liquid yeasts too if your willing to experiment and spend a few extra dollars. I'd personaly strain the hops just so there's less loose material at the bottom for when it comes time to bottling, but each to there own. Also wiht the LME make sure you DON'T add 2 lots of 500g as in one in the boil and one in the fermenter, just add the one, Let me know how it goes mate

Aaron

2 Cans of Coopers Mexican Cerveza and 15g of any hop for aroma, SO EASY! works out bout 32IBU! Do this with US-05 id suggest for an ALE, possibly ferment it at lower temp lyk 14C for something more resembelant of a Lager! :D

Chuck the 500g of LME in the 500ml boiling water with the Amarillo 25g ?

Just a quick IMO, That seems like eight or nine times too much LME for that amount of water.

As for suggestions, the kit version of DrSmurto's Golden Ale (http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//index.php?autocom=recipedb&code=show&recipe=502 - see notes) seems to be adored by everyone(else).

Only kit beer I've ever been remotely happy with was Thomas Coopers IPA, 2kg LDME, 250g pale crystal, 100g carared, 35g Fuggles@60, 35g Fuggles@15, 20g Fuggles@5. May not be to everyone's tastes, of course. Was thinking about re-doing it with may 10 more IBU and hop additions split equally between EKG and Styrian Goldings (and possibly late hopped beyond reasonable expectations on top).

The only kit beer I've ever been happy with was 1 can of coopers lager with 3kg of sugaz and the yeast under the lid.

The reason I was happy with it was because my mates made a beer funnel from garden hose that was so long it had to be filled from the second floor.

The resulting pressure meant that the actual Coopers Lager never even touched my taste buds. 2 liters into stomach @ 40psi.

I was happy with it. I think. Till I woke up in the bushes of the neighbours house at 6am with their cat trying to take a crap on me.

Best kit beer eva.

I need to amend the above. Earlier this evening I put some bottles of the DSGA I made into the freezer (supplies getting low, few alternatives) and promptly forgot about it. For reasons similar to Nick's fave kit beer, I found the Eisale(?) version much more preferable.

Back