Simple Kit Brewing step by step for 1st Time Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Wood

Reaction score
As a very recent first time brewer I found myself unable to find a good semi-detailed step by step list of instructions for doing my first brew (from a kit) with minimal experimentation, so from a few sources, friends, and youtube videos I collated this. Can you guys please share some feedback on any steps that might be missing, out of order, or flat out wrong? There is a page for 1wk fermentation and 2wk fermentation. Cheers.

Link here

Hi Thomas Wood,
Interesting reading, what is the reasoning on removing the hop bag?
I have been told to leave it in.
William

As a very recent first time brewer I found myself unable to find a good semi-detailed step by step list of instructions for doing my first brew (from a kit) with minimal experimentation, so from a few sources, friends, and youtube videos I collated this. Can you guys please share some feedback on any steps that might be missing, out of order, or flat out wrong? There is a page for 1wk fermentation and 2wk fermentation. Cheers.

Link here
As another rookie brewer this looks good, instead of a hop bag I wonder if a few hop pellets would also do the business, I assume they are mainly to add aroma rather than flavour?

Interesting reading, what is the reasoning on removing the hop bag?
I haven't experimented yet, but I have read that after 72hrs the bitterness profile increases. So 24-72hrs is good for flavour and aroma, but anything longer will make it more bitter and grassy. Again this is just what I have heard from others.

As another rookie brewer this looks good, instead of a hop bag I wonder if a few hop pellets would also do the business, I assume they are mainly to add aroma rather than flavour?
Yep see above, but hop pellets in the back gives off a very nice aroma and flavour. They can also increase the bitterness. By hop back I specifically meant a hop sock, which stops the hop pellets falling apart and filling up your bottles with hop sediment.

wh
I haven't experimented yet, but I have read that after 72hrs the bitterness profile increases. So 24-72hrs is good for flavour and aroma, but anything longer will make it more bitter and grassy. Again this is just what I have heard from others.

Yep see above, but hop pellets in the back gives off a very nice aroma and flavour. They can also increase the bitterness. By hop back I specifically meant a hop sock, which stops the hop pellets falling apart and filling up your bottles with hop sediment.
what are hop socks made from? and can you put pellets in a hop bomb inside a corny keg and how long would you leave it in there for? and can you still carbonate the keg with a hop bomb in it?

Last edited:
wh

what are hop socks made from? and can you put pellets in a hop bomb inside a corny keg and how long would you leave it in there for? and can you still carbonate the keg with a hop bomb in it?
Socks are usually made from a poly mesh. Hop bombs are generally intended for the keg. Some kegs have a tab on the lid to hang the bomb from.

When I use a hop bomb I put it in the sanitised keg purge out O² and transfer beer into keg. After four days disconnect gas, purge and remove ball then reseal and reconnect gas. During carbonation is fine.

It's just a mesh bag. I don't know what material specifically: https://www.kegland.com.au/hop-sock-small-grain-bag-biab-545.html (or you can get stainless steel ones)
I don't keg yet, so I am not sure of the answer to your question, but I believe you can and that it would be fine.

Socks are usually made from a poly mesh. Hop bombs are generally intended for the keg. Some kegs have a tab on the lid to hang the bomb from.

When I use a hop bomb I put it in the sanitised keg purge out O² and transfer beer into keg. After four days disconnect gas, purge and remove ball then reseal and reconnect gas. During carbonation is fine.
Brewgasm- So does hop bombing in the keg bring a different result to hop bombing or dry hopping in the fermenter?

I have also heard that to add hoppy flavour to a brew kit, ( rather than dry hopping for aroma) the easiest way is to make a tea of 15g hops boiled for 20 mins, allow to cool,then throw into the keg when you are kegging your beer?

Latest posts

Back