Simple Coopers Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncar0842

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,

I'm trying to make a simple Coopers Style Australian Pale Ale style beer for christmas/summer. Basically I want it to be refreshing, with some hop flavour and bitterness but still palatable to the masses of mega-swill drinking yobbo relatives.

I am planning on using

1 x Can Coopers Australian Pale Ale
1 x 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2
White Labs California Ale Yeast WLP001

With regards to hops I was thinking of using some POR in a short boil to get some bitterness and maybe dry hopping with a bit of cascade?

Any thoughts re: hops, ie. quantity and timing? Does the coopers tin need extra bitterness? Also, would you reccomend using 1.5kg of LLME instead of BE2 for a maltier outcome??

Hi fellow brewers,

I'm trying to make a simple Coopers Style Australian Pale Ale style beer for christmas/summer. Basically I want it to be refreshing, with some hop flavour and bitterness but still palatable to the masses of mega-swill drinking yobbo relatives.

I am planning on using

With regards to hops I was thinking of using some POR in a short boil to get some bitterness and maybe dry hopping with a bit of cascade?

Any thoughts re: hops, ie. quantity and timing? Does the coopers tin need extra bitterness? Also, would you reccomend using 1.5kg of LLME instead of BE2 for a maltier outcome??
Seeing as you're going the Cali Ale yeast, I'd definitely go for the LLME. Leave the Brew Enhancer for another day.

Is the reason you say that because this yeast is a good attenuator? Ie.It will eat up the malt and not end up too sweet?

Hi fellow brewers,

I am planning on using

Hi AlphaPale,

I have done something simmilar in the past and it was very drinkable and using just the CPA kit and yeast Coopers BE2 and a cascade teabag, my swill drinking freinds did not complain about that one.

Jan

I was once timid with dry hopping, but it is great. I won't comment on your recipe because I love pale ales but the Coopers one isn't quite to my taste.

Personally I'd avoid the POR altogether and definitely chuck in some cascade at the end of your boil (maybe 15-20gms) and then dry hop with some more cascade at 7 days (or if you rack, do it into secondary) and use a minimum of 1gm per litre of hops...so if you have 20L of beer, go for 20gms of cascade. That's two lots all up.

Substituting the brew enhance for all LDME will give more body and more maltiness to the beer...but if you want more bitterness in the first place you are starting to go in circles adding more malt.

There's heaps you can do with this sort of base, but to keep it simple (I don't know how experienced you are) I would stick with the ingredients you have but go hard on the cascade. People will be surprised when they get a noseful of the lovely aroma and will instantly be more receptive to the taste of the beer itself.

Anyway, just some suggestions, have fun.

Edit: my last K+K (which I am finishing off as we speak - 5 months old) was aa Thomas Cooper IPA, done with wyeast 1056 AMerican Ale, 250 gms steeped crystal plus 20gms cascade at flameout and another 20gms at 7 days when I racked and it is a very drinkable beer...plenty bitter enough without any POR or bittering hops - cheers.

I tried the white labs 'australian ale' a few weeks ago and it is just like using recultured coopers yeast, but without the banana. I reckon you should give that a go for that authentic coopers taste.

Hi, CPA used POR hops, but when I do it I do POR with a 30min boil then throw in some Amarillo at the end for a bit of fruitiness.
I use recultured CPA yeast, but have used American Ale and US05, but the american attenuates at more than 85% so really cleans the brew out. This is why I put in the Amarillo and extra malt.

Also CPA uses only malt, no sugar in the recipe, so I use the CPA can, 1.5 kilos of Light LME, 25g POR 30mins, 20g Amarilla 10mins, and an extra 500g Light DME, 15g of the American Ale Yeast, or my recultured CPA yeast and ferment long and cool, 14 days at between 16 and 10 degrees, usually holding at 18. I start off with a high OG usually around 1068-1070, and it finishes at 1008-1010 so a higher alc but clean attenuation and fermentation leavign a crisp beer with nice mothfeel and tight head, cood even bitterness to malt ratio and a little fruitiness from thre amarillo.

I have been told it is a nice coopers CPA clone, with a little fuller flavour and aroma.

Anyway, have funa nd do what works for you...it's all about your palate and what you like!
Bubba

There was a Jamil show on Aussie Sparkling Ale starring Korev!!

www.thebrewingnetwork.com

Have a look for that - I found it to be a good show, but the Yanks didn't really seem to get into it.

Kev

Gonna try something like

Wals Pale ale kit
1kg ldme
12g cascade 20min
12g cascade dry hopped
coopers recultured yeast

what do you think?

the idea of the coopers yeast is to drink it straight from the bottle as you can with commercial coopers. Does their yeast taste better or is there just less in the bottle?

I tried the white labs 'australian ale' a few weeks ago and it is just like using recultured coopers yeast, but without the banana. I reckon you should give that a go for that authentic coopers taste.

Hey, where did you get it from. I hav etried to get it (WLP009) and have been told (by LHBS and on White Labs web site) it is seasonal and only available in Aussie between Feb and April every year?
Really want to give it a go.

Hey, where did you get it from. I hav etried to get it (WLP009) and have been told (by LHBS and on White Labs web site) it is seasonal and only available in Aussie between Feb and April every year?
Really want to give it a go.

Hi Bubba, I got it from a friend. It tasted great out of the fermenter but now i think it got infected (when bottling?) as it has a taste that is not 100% cool. Kind of acrid but kind of not. One of the bottles exploded too!
I highly recommend the yeast, it tasted like it was going to be the perfect coopers clone out of the fermenter!
Brewers choice still has it on their website.
http://www.brewerschoice.com.au/online-sho...-ale-yeast.html

I saw it advertised somewhere else but i can't remember now. I think the whitelabs website has a list of aussie suppliers

Hi Bubba, I got it from a friend. It tasted great out of the fermenter but now i think it got infected (when bottling?) as it has a taste that is not 100% cool. Kind of acrid but kind of not. One of the bottles exploded too!
I highly recommend the yeast, it tasted like it was going to be the perfect coopers clone out of the fermenter!
Brewers choice still has it on their website.
http://www.brewerschoice.com.au/online-sho...-ale-yeast.html

I saw it advertised somewhere else but i can't remember now. I think the whitelabs website has a list of aussie suppliers

Cool, just ordered it from Brewers Choice!
Going to split into 5 samples and grow it and then reuse the slurry each time so hoping to get about 10 brews out of the one yeast!
Thanks heaps.

Back