Silicone tubing and co2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grott

Beer Embalmer
Reaction score
Did some searches but couldn't find satisfactory results as to whether medical grade silicone tubing is ok for co2 use ( heat ok, pressure ok). Although fairly expensive (4mm id x 8mm od) $22/metre, if usable are there any real advantages.

I'd be concerned about it working its way off barbs - assuming that's the only way to hook it up, given it's too soft for the like of JG style connectors.

Seems an expensive way to cause more (potential?) issues. Not sure if it has any benefit's over vinyl (what I use, hence the comparison)... one of the pro's with vinyl is how transparent it is, if you do manage to feck things up and get beer in the gas line (keg to keg transfers of other cock ups), you can easily see it, and wash/replace at your discretion. Harder to see in beer line, and I'm assuming in silicone too.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Don't know about silicone but I am in the process of swapping out my Co2 lines (beer line) with cheap Bunnings clear hose and using reusable steeples clamps.
I don't like the stiff/hardness of KK beer line for gas.

given it's too soft for the like of JG style connectors.

l

With softer tubes, you can always use tube to hose stems. They allow the flexibility of connecting and disconnecting as necessary, but still provide the security of using a barb & clamp.

The tubing in pic below is EVA not silicone, but works with either silicone, CVT, or most other softer beer / gas tubing that may not be JG compatible.

JGT2H.jpg

Thanks, I use vinyl at present and perhaps I should follow that " if it ain't broke don't **** with it" philosophy.

Back