Sight Gauge For Under $10!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
I have been building my 2nd AG brewery and so have learnt alot of lessons from the first time. For a long time i have thought about making a cheap sight gauge and have finally found a way of doing it simply and getting everything from your local bunnings!

Shopping list, You could go brass or ss, i went brass to keep costs down and it really doesnt matter too much.

- 15mm elbow
- 15mm male fitting
- 15mm washer
- Silicon washer
- Screw tightener thing
- 50cm 25mm internal diameter tube

Drill hole, bung it all together, and add 1L of water and mark level

IMG_0006.JPG

Hi Scotty,
The main issue I've had when thinking about making a sight gauge is the clear plastic pipe. What is the tube that you are using? Do you know how it will be affected by boiling hot liquid?

Please post a pic when you've made it.

Will do, just waiting on my step drill bit to arrive in the mail. Its the same vinyl tube most use in their brewerys but a bigger diameter.

you'll want something at the top to hold it up I reckon. that vinyl tubing is reasonably stiff at room temps, but it gets very flimsy as it gets hot

Wouldn't you be better off using silicone tubing, or even glass if you can get it? Those will deal with the heat much better.

I'm pretty sure the clear PVC tubing that Bunnings sells is not food-grade. I used some for chilling beer, and while I didn't notice any off flavours and the beer didn't kill me, it really discoloured at near boiling temps. It went a milky off-white after a single use. I'd go with polycarbonate if I were you. It's strong, and has no problems with boiling liquids.

I don't think you can get it at bunnings, but a quick Google should get you a bunch of retailers.

Latest posts

Back