Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on topic, SNSH is awesome. Aus supermarket beer tastes like mouse cage.

Would you expect anything less with Woolworths having a say in their products?

I reckon as homebrewers with out hands full of packets of American and NZ hops we've forgotten that the megaswiller needs to be babied over to hoppy, malty beers.

Beers like Gage Roads should have a sticker on them saying, "GATEWAY BEER" so people who know what the style should taste like aren't fooled by the marketing on the label.

Atomic? Maybe that's a reference to the molecule of flavour hiding somewhere in there?

Great beer - I managed to get them for 7 bux at vintage cellars at broadbeach on the weekend !
Also had mountain goat rare breed ipa and stout for 6 !

I reckon as homebrewers with out hands full of packets of American and NZ hops we've forgotten that the megaswiller needs to be babied over to hoppy, malty beers.

Beers like Gage Roads should have a sticker on them saying, "GATEWAY BEER" so people who know what the style should taste like aren't fooled by the marketing on the label.

Atomic? Maybe that's a reference to the molecule of flavour hiding somewhere in there?

I tried the gage roads beers. They were all better than Tooheys new, but that's a pretty low bar to jump over. Never bought them since. I agree, swill with 5% more flavour IMHO.

I haven't had an Atomic Pale Ale since they were first released but this thread inspired me to pop down and grab one to see if they might have changed.

Tastes like your standard Aussie macro with a little malt sweetness, a very vague fruitiness hidden somewhere and firmer bitterness. Lipstick on a pig.

Yeah OT I realise, however I'm with mckenry- the Atomic I've tried is quite OK ATM, at least in tallies. I grabbed a few recently (I've not been brewing much), has a reasonable malt character and some C hops, not top shelf but quite OK for an APA. Not surprisingly, it seems the London Ale, Sleeping Giant and Atomic all have similar malt characteristics, not the same but alike enough.
As an aside, I hit the jackpot in my local (Indro) BWS yesterday when they were clearing out for just 3 clams each, I'm not disappointed. B)

Yeah OT I realise, however I'm with mckenry- the Atomic I've tried is quite OK ATM, at least in tallies. I grabbed a few recently (I've not been brewing much), has a reasonable malt character and some C hops, not top shelf but quite OK for an APA. Not surprisingly, it seems the London Ale, Sleeping Giant and Atomic all have similar malt characteristics, not the same but alike enough.
As an aside, I hit the jackpot in my local (Indro) BWS yesterday when they were clearing out for just 3 clams each, I'm not disappointed. B)

I'm afraid R man isn't being honest here. I just listened to him go on all night how he was a better brewer than Gage Rd.
Hang on, maybe it's the IPA's talking and Rde was sincere...... B) .......bartender!!!!!

NP - Empire State of Mind.

Given I'm not brewing ATM, all beer is either expensive or substandard (often both).

Gage roads for $3 for 640ml, is less painful. $7 for SNSHHA, again tolerable.

BWS is clearing out Gage roads.

So he quotes famous literature while falling out of a plane?

Given I'm not brewing ATM, all beer is either expensive or substandard (often both).

Gage roads for $3 for 640ml, is less painful. $7 for SNSHHA, again tolerable.

BWS is clearing out Gage roads.

The $3 gage roads is amazing, more so the IPA. I don't think they are clearing gage roads. They bought the majority share, and production in the brewing system. Maybe a line deletion, or below price intro. They will continue to feature, no doubt.

Back