Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eamonnfoley

Foleybraü
Reaction score
I've read a lot of positive reviews about the Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop Ale from Sierra Nevada. Sounds fantastic, but unfortunately we cannot get it here in Aus/NZ. Does anyone have a recipe to approximate it? Understanding the hops wont be fresh, but im curious to see how good these NZ hops really are. An APA (probably more an IPA) from the best of NZ hops sounds attractive to me!

I've just had a look at their website and the following info is given:

alcohol content 6.7% by volume yeast Ale Yeast beginning gravity 14.7 Plato bittering hops Pacific Halertau ending gravity 3.9 Plato finishing hops New Zealand Motueka & New Zealand Southern Cross bitterness units 66 malts Pale & Caramel

NZ hops are great! Experiment with them and reap the rewards! For info/direction go to NZ Hops

Southern Cross is an excellent bittering hop. It also has a noble spice as a late addition.
B Saaz (Motueka) is a favourite of mine that combines well with Cascade in a Pale Ale.
Pacific Hallertau is something I like in wheat beers, but I've run out and look forward to playing with it soon.

For an IPA/APA with them I'd start with something like this:

90% Ale Malt
5% Wheat Malt
5% Crystal Malt

Target arounf 1.050 sg

Bitter to around 18 IBU's with a 60min addition of Pacific Hallertau
Then add a gram a litre of both B Saaz and Southern Cross at 10mins and in the whirlpool.

Yeast, something easy like 1056.

See how it turns out then tweak to taste in the next brews that follow.

I've just had a look at their website and the following info is given:

alcohol content 6.7% by volume yeast Ale Yeast beginning gravity 14.7 Plato bittering hops Pacific Halertau ending gravity 3.9 Plato finishing hops New Zealand Motueka & New Zealand Southern Cross bitterness units 66 malts Pale & Caramel

NZ hops are great! Experiment with them and reap the rewards! For info/direction go to NZ Hops

Southern Cross is an excellent bittering hop. It also has a noble spice as a late addition.
B Saaz (Motueka) is a favourite of mine that combines well with Cascade in a Pale Ale.
Pacific Hallertau is something I like in wheat beers, but I've run out and look forward to playing with it soon.

For an IPA/APA with them I'd start with something like this:

90% Ale Malt
5% Wheat Malt
5% Crystal Malt

Target arounf 1.050 sg

Bitter to around 18 IBU's with a 60min addition of Pacific Hallertau
Then add a gram a litre of both B Saaz and Southern Cross at 10mins and in the whirlpool.

Yeast, something easy like 1056.

See how it turns out then tweak to taste in the next brews that follow.

Assuming thats a typo?

Altho the 1 and the 6 are a log way apart on a keyboard.......

If it's a Southern Hemisphere beer, it should only be sold in the southern hemisphere :p

NZ hops are absolutely brilliant. I just cracked my first AG Yorkshire Bitter using NZ Fuggles, put some Vaughan Williams on the stereo and wallowed in Pom nostalgia (have to get myself a crackin' bit of Wensleydale cheese for the next session)

Green Bullet would have to be the cleanest crispest bittering hop for a lager I have come across.

B Saaz goes great in my pseudo lagers.

Some of them tend to be higher in AA than their Euro ancestors so read the label before using.

I wish.

How innovative are these American Brewers! I'll have to get myself to Northern California & Oregon sometime.

I know!,they use american hops in every style and call it golden.

Luv the kiwi flowers,often replacing old world(sorry noble) hops.I am using them 100% now.

cheers

I know!,they use american hops in every style and call it golden.

Luv the kiwi flowers,often replacing old world(sorry noble) hops.I am using them 100% now.

cheers

will have to give them a go. Was turned off them a bit after hearing they are in the Little creatures Pilsner which is not a great beer IMO.

yes good kiwi hops when nobles are low a/a been using kiwi hops since 05 got those hops cheap too from the kiwis when i was on a hol

Wondering what some good examples are of Australian microbrews with a decent dose of Kiwi hops ??

How innovative are these American Brewers! I'll have to get myself to Northern California & Oregon sometime.

About as innovative as Aussie home brewers. The IPA recipe sounds lots like my recent "South Pacific" IPA.

Hi all.

I found a long neck of this stuff at my local bottle shop last night. So seems as though things have changed over the last few years. It cost me a staggering $12 but it was incredible. It truly was a class beer. Complex, balanced and absolutely delicious.

So if you are thinking of treating yourself I would highly recommend this beer. The Sierra Nevada brewery is impressive - I'm yet to have been let down by one of their beers.

Cheers all.

Hi all.

I found a long neck of this stuff at my local bottle shop last night. So seems as though things have changed over the last few years. It cost me a staggering $12 but it was incredible. It truly was a class beer. Complex, balanced and absolutely delicious.

So if you are thinking of treating yourself I would highly recommend this beer. The Sierra Nevada brewery is impressive - I'm yet to have been let down by one of their beers.

Cheers all.

I picked one up on sat night at a bws in tugun,qld and it was really lush. I had it at my cousins wedding and was giving tastings to my pop and dad. They were very impressed

Yep, seem to be at Dan's now with a lot of other interesting new beers (Ballast Point Big Eye IPA anyone? yum!) I picked up one the other day. I had one on tap in New Orleans recently during American Craft Beer week a couple of months back, I'll be interested to see how it compares!

found them at Dan Murphy's north of Sydney NSW - @ $12 each....$99 for a carton>>>....its now in the fridge awaiting Friday night beer delight.

It's bittered with hallertau and flavoured with southern cross? WTF?

It's bittered with hallertau and flavoured with southern cross? WTF?

I have no idea what the hop schedule is, but this is a magnificent beer.

It has single handedly changed my opinion of IPAs.

Beautifully balanced, smooth bitterness... cracker of a beer.

Latest posts

Back