Sierra Navada Here We Come

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol:

Boys' motel room, hey?
Sounds like a scene from Pulp Fiction, hope Bruce Willis came to rescue you B)

mate enjoyed your post this morning, great pictures!
In fact without your post I might be a few dollars better off but unfortunately I saw this on the way home and, well my wallet just sort of slipped out into the bottlo attendants hands...

So far trying the imperial pils. Imperial in this case seems to refer to the hops as its only 5 odd % ABV. Absolute cracker of a pils!

SNBEER_CAMP.JPG

Amazing, I just got home from a club meeting where Liam and I took a case of those camp beers. The Imperial Pilsner was a very nice drop and yes, the imperial bit had us thrown. The Imperial Red Ale is a Double IPA that is red in colour and was great too. The Floral IPA well, a floral IPA and the Oatmeal Stout taste more like a Foreign Extra, but at 9% I suppose you could excuse that.

edit spellun

Amazing, I just got home from a club meeting where Liam and I took a case of those camp beers. The Imperial Pilsner was a very nice drop and yes, the imperial bit had us thrown. The Imperial Red Ale is a Double IPA that is red in colour and was great too. The Floral IPA well, a floral IPA and the Oatmeal Stout taste more like a Foreign Extra, but at 9% I suppose you could excuse that.

edit spellun
I really enjoyed the red. Mind you if they had six packs of the pils about I'm sure it would have a strong market. Just about to pop the floral IPA. looking forward to this.
Any more pics of the trip to put up? Do it mate, loved living vicariously through you on this one.

I really enjoyed the red. Mind you if they had six packs of the pils about I'm sure it would have a strong market. Just about to pop the floral IPA. looking forward to this.
Any more pics of the trip to put up? Do it mate, loved living vicariously through you on this one.

yeah, I'll have to go through and resize them, I'll get more up soon.

Last bottle of the selection :Oatmeal stout

It's fantastic, very much like the Colonial Baltic porter. pushing the RIS envelope...need my glass to warm up a touch I didn't realise this was a 9%er

Fugging cool Browndog! I am mean jealous.

I dig the title of the brown a lot.

How sweet the SN setup is! Their employees totally live the dream, and stuff like beer camp is creating new dreams.

Fugging cool Browndog! I am mean jealous.

I dig the title of the brown a lot.

How sweet the SN setup is! Their employees totally live the dream, and stuff like beer camp is creating new dreams.

Yeah, from what I saw and talking to them they all love being there and its just massive kudos to SN for running beer camps for the punters. Ours was #90.

Awesome pics guys. So Jealous right now. Do you have any sweet tips from over there or do we need to know the secret handshake?

Awesome pics guys. So Jealous right now. Do you have any sweet tips from over there or do we need to know the secret handshake?

I wish I could give you some great insights, however I didn't get much one on one time with the brewers. I did discuss long term beer stability at one stage and the brewer confirmed what a lot of the guys in the know here say and that is you have to be careful to guard against hot side aeration if you want your beer to stay fresh in the bottle. This includes splashing in the mash tun. In the labs they had phials of purified spoilage compounds. When we were given one to smell, half of us thought it smelled like cooked onions or garlic, it turned out to be DMS. So in the future, if a beer smells like garlic or onions, then I know it has DMS. Also, getting around to so many great breweries, I know what my beers have been lacking for an authentic West Coast IPA and know just how to tweak them.

When we were given one to smell, half of us thought it smelled like cooked onions or garlic, it turned out to be DMS. So in the future, if a beer smells like garlic or onions, then I know it has DMS.

Do you remember what the other half perceived DMS as? Or did they not pick up on it at all?

Do you remember what the other half perceived DMS as? Or did they not pick up on it at all?

Two said onions/garlic, one said cooked veges and the other (a BJCP Grand Master) was silent.

Great stuff mate.

I did the Siebels 24 taint kit a while back with a bunch of local home brewers. Lots of interesting smells. Well worth the money.

I get Cooked Corn / veges out of DMS.

Don't forget to smell your own skin between taints to reset your senses a bit.

As for the current beer camp set, I find the stout and bit too much. Too much alcohol bite. And for the IPA, not bad, but there are more floral IPAs out there.

The beer camp series used to have the face of the homebrewer on the label. Shame they don't do that any more.

Latest posts

Back