Sick Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watertrade

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have just moved house this year and brought with me a few hop rhizomes. All 4 plants are looking pretty sick. I'm guilty in that I didn't prepare the soil particularly well but I thought they would be ok.

Does anyone recognize the following problem? The leaves grow pretty well then develop holes between the veins which get worse until there isn't much leaf left!

I first thought some kind of pest but I'm now thinking a nutrient deficiency.

Any green thumbs able to help out?

just in case you were wondering I have Perle, Mt Hood and a french one I got this year.. can't remember the name...
I will post pics when I figure it out.

Cheers
Jim

Might help a little to say where you are :blink:
Lot of climatic difference between Darwin & Hobart for instance :p

With quite a few guys from Canberra on here, I'm sure you will get some help very soon.
And welcome to AHB Watertrade

Watertrade, mine (SEQLD here) suffered pretty much the same fate, Perle and Wurtemberger, although the Perle was somewhat worse. The Wurty shot up to 2M in about 3 weeks and then nothing, spots and holes in the leaves and no more growth, like you I suspected fungus/bugs/etc. Other brewers reasonably close to me are growing hops with much better results, some use fertiliser so thought that might be the go. Another brewer and very keen green thumb thought it was a matter of position and not enough hours of direct sunlight. Spoke to a nursery type, his advice "They need a feed, reserves in the rhizome provide what the plant needs to get it going and out of the ground then it needs to get what it can from the soil". Put some NPK on a few days ago. Already there are new lateral shoots, so have added a little blood and bone as well now, looks like that's all it was, vegies grow like steam in the same bed so hops must be bulk feeders. When I think about it the Wurty rhizome was much larger than the Perle, obviously the Perle ran out of power early as it stopped at about 600mm. Maybe yours needs a feed!

Thanks Guys, I will pickup some fertilisers tomorrow and load up them up.. I hope it works! they were were going great at the old place!.

Wally - check the image again, I have tweaked it a little :)

The feed seems to have done the trick. they bounced right back and are thrown up heaps of new shoots. I didn't realise Hops were so nutrient needy!. I actually thought they were realy hardy plants.
Great to see them back the grow!

Cheers
Jim

Latest posts

Back