Show Us Your Local

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Lansdowne is my local (coopers on tap) , thou the Rose gets a look in now & then (little creatures).

View attachment 12557

Ah the Lansdowne. Used to live around the corner but hardly ever went there. I was always at the Duck & Swan or The Rose.
The Rose is still one of my fav's. Haven't been there for a couple of weeks. They have a good tap and bottle selection.

Doc

gees you blokes are lucky to have locals like these all the pubs in my town are full of bogans ,dero's and ugly women sitting on pokies all day.

and the beer is crap "worst end draught" and the idea of an imported beer is "vb" and you will get beaten up if you get seen drinking that poofy boutique stuff or mugged in the carparks when you leave cos they think your rich.
Tanget will know what pirie is like.

delboy
I know what you mean I spent 4 years in Why-allah, pretty much the same as Pirrie. and now I live in boganville north of Hobart. The only pub I go to is the republic bar in Hobart and that is about once every three months.

Last week I went to the Cascades hotel, just down the road from the brewery, Friday is $10 rump steak, think inch thick slice through a whole rump, cooked to perfection. Beer choice was very limited so I had a coke, I'd already had 2 tax deductable stella's before leaving home and I was driving.

My nearest pub must be the 'wick, Elwick Taveern, never been there so I can't comment.

Ah the Lansdowne. Used to live around the corner but hardly ever went there. I was always at the Duck & Swan or The Rose.
The Rose is still one of my fav's. Haven't been there for a couple of weeks. They have a good tap and bottle selection.

Doc

I visit the lansdowne infrequently - when all the kegs are dry on a fri night or if i need the pleasure of my ears bleeding from loudish music :p :ph34r:

the rose has had lcpa on tap for quite a while (from memory). very nice pizzas, but a rather$$ .... thou they did have $10 jugs coopers on sun pm for a while. but not a good look on mon at work :unsure: duck n swan is ok but rather quiet.

<expurgate>
Tanget will know what pirie is like.
</expurgate>
delboy
Is it anything like Port Adelaide?
Went there on a Sunday morning, heading to the Port Dock brewery, coz I was in town with friends. The Port Dock wasn't open yet, so we went to another place down the road/ round the corner. The locals looked like they'd been there all night. I ordered cans of Guinness all round, and the looks I got... - you'd swear I was an alien; a rich alien, at that. We drank swiftly and moved along for fear of being beaten, robbed, or kidnapped and sold into slavery/ freakshow. :blink:

I don't drink at my local either, but Stephen (of this forum) does. And he goes there for the member's draw once a week. No photos of it yet from him. The place is called the Bull 'n' Bush, but more recently received new signage as the Bull "n" Bush. Backwoods@ss country folk. It appears that either no-one has told the owner/licensee, or no-one knows how to spell. Surely there's some liability or duty-of-care on behalf of the signwriter/ signmaker to not change the name of the pub. Maybe it breaches licensing laws to change the venue name in that way?

Seth (spelling pedant) out

Is it anything like Port Adelaide?
Went there on a Sunday morning, heading to the Port Dock brewery, coz I was in town with friends. The Port Dock wasn't open yet, so we went to another place down the road/ round the corner. The locals looked like they'd been there all night. I ordered cans of Guinness all round, and the looks I got... - you'd swear I was an alien; a rich alien, at that. We drank swiftly and moved along for fear of being beaten, robbed, or kidnapped and sold into slavery/ freakshow. :blink:

I don't drink at my local either, but Stephen (of this forum) does. And he goes there for the member's draw once a week. No photos of it yet from him. The place is called the Bull 'n' Bush, but more recently received new signage as the Bull "n" Bush. Backwoods@ss country folk. It appears that either no-one has told the owner/licensee, or no-one knows how to spell. Surely there's some liability or duty-of-care on behalf of the signwriter/ signmaker to not change the name of the pub. Maybe it breaches licensing laws to change the venue name in that way?

Seth (spelling pedant) out

Hey Seth,

Tidal Pete's local the Currimundi Hotel (where he goes weekly for the badge draw)

Has a childrens playgroud advertised on the roadside signage as 'Little Heros' Playground. Heros is Egyptian god as far I can recall. Who are these irresponsible signwriters?

InCider. Another pedant.

I know delboy ;)
Is the snakepit still running?
Port Adelaide is upmarket Les :) They have cans of Guinness.

edit - In defence of the signwriters, they get a command to paint whatever the illiterate client tells them to paint. You can't go pointing out that your client is an idiot too many times.

snipped some bits out>>>

....... are full of bogans ,dero's and ugly women sitting on pokies all day.

......... and you will get beaten up

............or mugged in the carparks when you leave

delboy

I have first hand experience with all of this in Port Pirie and have all the scars to prove it. Things have changed a bit around a couple pubs from when I was a young VB drinker and when I return at christmas time every year the international and newcastle I find to be not too bad these days with generally reasonbly behaved punters at both. The BHAS club for 8 ball upstairs and snooker downstairs is sometimes OK but I have had several run ins with the locals there and tend not to go there anymore. The sportsmans tavern is not too bad for several bets in the front bar and the patrons are generally reasonbly respectable also, they have MSB in bottles and coopers pale ale and tooheys old on tap.

What used to be great but very bogan and rough as guts was the no longer there Port Pirie hotel, I remember huge nites there seeing bands like the Zepp Boys which would go off, but certainly did see its share of police being called to brawls.

This closest place to my parents is the risdon and I don't mind a few bets and pale ales in the front bar but the front bar does have a few of the old school unemployable alcoholic locals which would have police records longer than a american home brew recipe.

The federal sees a bit of a older crowd If i remember rightly and I have been known to venture in on nights when my old man plays some country rock tunes in a duo there with a old irish git.

The small front bar of the hotel right in the middle of the main drag is ok too for starting of a quiet long session of pub crawls.

Now what was the roughest back before the age of pokies in S.A was the front bar of what was then called the jubilee hotel nicknamed the animal bar at the time, I imagine most of the patrons of that bar would all have died from substance abuse by now.

Back 15 years ago the central hotel was the place to be but that seems to have changed drastically now as was upstairs at the jube, both used to have nightclub action and good chances of picking up something in a skirt. Upstairs at the 'jube' i think its called the portside or something now is still going but nowhere near it was like back when i remember nites of $1 cans of west end draught till midnite which would get packed out with punters and loose young girls.

Anyway thats my long winded useless review of Port Pirie pubs I think I got them all from both now and in the past and overall these days I think most of the pubs aren't really any worst than most suburban pubs in most cities. Being a local for several years I know most of the old school feral locals so know which ones to steer clear of and keep safe and have fun times in Pirie pubs.

Hey Seth,

Tidal Pete's local the Currimundi Hotel (where he goes weekly for the badge draw)

Has a childrens playgroud advertised on the roadside signage as 'Little Heros' Playground. Heros is Egyptian god as far I can recall. Who are these irresponsible signwriters?

InCider. Another pedant.

Ahh, that explains the other sign, "You must be this mummified to play here".

Campbell

what a great idea for a thread! My current local doesn't bear speaking of :angry: so I'll have to digress to all time favorite local.
I've had some awesome ones over the years, the Napier (Fitzroy) and the Town Hall (Nth Melb) being some of my favorites (a good old fashioned sticky carpet for me any day)
But without a doubt my all time favorite and the one I miss most dearly, is the Flowing tide in Dublin, Ireland.

We came out from Ireland when I was a nipper and when I turned 22 I went back for some years. Nothing beats a Dublin pub and this one is right up there with the best. It's adjacent to the famous Abbey Irish National theatre, which means the place is jammed full of actors all night and day. You haven't seen drinking until you have seen Irish actors in a bar. Get involved in a round and the pints will be four deep in front of you before you've heard the first hilarious piss take of Eric Bana's Chopper. :beer: :chug: You also see the odd famous person. Shane Macgowen (The Pogues) was in there occasionally. Ricky Tomlinson (Royale Family) once as well.
It's the kind of local that defies the need for quality drink (although the guinness is very reasonable) and thrives on it's staff and clientele. The kind of place you can have a laugh and not have to look over your shoulder for the bouncer or a surly barman/local. The kind of place sadly lacking in my town and (climbing onto soap box here) the kind that frequenters and licensees of Melbourne's outer suburban pokies,playground and piss-head mega-pubs will never ever understand. (I feel a 'worst pub in Melbourne' topic coming on)

I didn't take these photos. When I was there the outside area contained empty kegs and an ashtray. There would be about 50-60 people crammed into that freezing alley every weekend. ahh the memories.
flowing3.jpgflowing1.jpgflowing4.jpg

I have first hand experience with all of this in Port Pirie and have all the scars to prove it. Things have changed a bit around a couple pubs from when I was a young VB drinker and when I return at christmas time every year the international and newcastle I find to be not too bad these days with generally reasonbly behaved punters at both. The BHAS club for 8 ball upstairs and snooker downstairs is sometimes OK but I have had several run ins with the locals there and tend not to go there anymore. The sportsmans tavern is not too bad for several bets in the front bar and the patrons are generally reasonbly respectable also, they have MSB in bottles and coopers pale ale and tooheys old on tap.

What used to be great but very bogan and rough as guts was the no longer there Port Pirie hotel, I remember huge nites there seeing bands like the Zepp Boys which would go off, but certainly did see its share of police being called to brawls.

This closest place to my parents is the risdon and I don't mind a few bets and pale ales in the front bar but the front bar does have a few of the old school unemployable alcoholic locals which would have police records longer than a american home brew recipe.

The federal sees a bit of a older crowd If i remember rightly and I have been known to venture in on nights when my old man plays some country rock tunes in a duo there with a old irish git.

The small front bar of the hotel right in the middle of the main drag is ok too for starting of a quiet long session of pub crawls.

Now what was the roughest back before the age of pokies in S.A was the front bar of what was then called the jubilee hotel nicknamed the animal bar at the time, I imagine most of the patrons of that bar would all have died from substance abuse by now.

Back 15 years ago the central hotel was the place to be but that seems to have changed drastically now as was upstairs at the jube, both used to have nightclub action and good chances of picking up something in a skirt. Upstairs at the 'jube' i think its called the portside or something now is still going but nowhere near it was like back when i remember nites of $1 cans of west end draught till midnite which would get packed out with punters and loose young girls.

Anyway thats my long winded useless review of Port Pirie pubs I think I got them all from both now and in the past and overall these days I think most of the pubs aren't really any worst than most suburban pubs in most cities. Being a local for several years I know most of the old school feral locals so know which ones to steer clear of and keep safe and have fun times in Pirie pubs.

Hell Jayse,

That would be enough to put anyone off Pirie for life.
It may be worth the short trip to Warnertown Pub. Years ago ( late 70's early 80's ) it was full of truck drivers and the odd farmer and megaswill on tap.
Today I notice that every time I drive past there is always two or three F 100's parked out the front. Is this a sign??? Possibly an endless track of country and western on the duke box :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Hey Seth,

InCider. Another pedant.

(stillscottish @ May 12 2007, 12:05 PM)

Ahh, that explains the other sign, "You must be this mummified to play here".

Campbell

Why you young whippersnappers, I will send you down to the Jube at Port Pirie (Thanks Jase) to get you stuffed-up little bastards sorted out. :lol:

Even the Currimundi would sort out you pussies in the children's playground. :lol:

:beer:

duck n swan is ok but rather quiet.

Yeah, I used to go there when it was a family run bar (Mum, Dad and the two boys).
Was a great local where everyone new each other and got on well.

Doc

I to have no local here...But below is the pub where I started my love of the amber fluid & had my pewter tankard behind the bar at age 16. The owners wern't too happy when I celebrated my Eighteenth there, having though I was always over the legal age. Over 500 years old, it's one of the earliest English pubs. I've included a little history for anyone interested

White_Lion.jpg
It doesnt do too well to be too tall if you are a White Lion regular, as the sign above the door states: Weary traveller do ye mind your hatte although its clear that many modern day imbibers do not understand Olde Englishe, judging by the regular sickening thuds as head meet low beams and the accompanying expletives that can be heard on any given day.

Obviously, people were a lot shorter in the days when the White Lion was built around 1467, according to this history books which is why many of the low beams in the building barely reach six feet.

But, the Lion wasnt always a pub. It was built first as a farmhouse and cottages, only becoming an Inn later in the 15th Century. This was due to an inspired move by owner and local farmer, Hubert Grassdangle! I think the fact that the Parish Council continually refuse to put up a statue in his honour on the front of the pub is a national disgrace.

The White Lion Inn became an immediate hit, with its warren of intimate and enclosed bars, lit by old carriage lamps, and its unique features such as the Inglenook fireplace beneath which is buried the entrance to a secret tunnel leading under the Limpsfield Road to the nearby almshouses.

And its worth looking out for the carved wooden post which precariously supports one end of the particularly low beam running across the main bar area. It was taken from the corner of an Elizabethan four poster bed whose springs once bounced along to an amorous romp between Shakespeare-wannabe, Christopher Marlowe, and a mystery milkmaid from nearby Chelsham.

During the 19th Century, the Lions services were more diverse than they are today, selling general provisions as well as beer much like some of the bars in rural Ireland still do to this day.

Inside the pub, the atmosphere was often gloomy, with little sunshine breaking through the smoke-fugged rooms and, not surprisingly perhaps, there have been many sightings of apparitions in the main bar area after closing time when all but the bar staff have gone.

One notable encounter was in 1913 when Dorothea Tremayne-Wilkinson, the daughter of a local wealthy businessmen, big in steam-driven suction pumps for cesspits, found herself collecting glasses as a favour to her barmaid friend.

She heard a noise in the main bar, poked her head round the door and saw at the bar a young girl dressed in white standing next to a florid-faced man with heavy black Cavalry whiskers, banging soundlessly on the bar top, apparently demanding a drink.

I now understand that this could be Colonel Manley Pilkington and his young wife, Cecilia, who tragically died in 1824 while waiting for a coach to London. They were both pushed under the hooves of the oncoming horses by jealous rival, Frederick Fawshaw, and his rather simple-minded brother, Jebediah, who were both later hanged for their crimes.

I to have no local here...But below is the pub where I started my love of the amber fluid & had my pewter tankard behind the bar at age 16. The owners wern't too happy when I celebrated my Eighteenth there, having though I was always over the legal age. Over 500 years old, it's one of the earliest English pubs. I've included a little history for anyone interested

View attachment 12591
It doesnt do too well to be too tall if you are a White Lion regular, as the sign above the door states: Weary traveller do ye mind your hatte although its clear that many modern day imbibers do not understand Olde Englishe, judging by the regular sickening thuds as head meet low beams and the accompanying expletives that can be heard on any given day.

Obviously, people were a lot shorter in the days when the White Lion was built around 1467, according to this history books which is why many of the low beams in the building barely reach six feet.

But, the Lion wasnt always a pub. It was built first as a farmhouse and cottages, only becoming an Inn later in the 15th Century. This was due to an inspired move by owner and local farmer, Hubert Grassdangle! I think the fact that the Parish Council continually refuse to put up a statue in his honour on the front of the pub is a national disgrace.

The White Lion Inn became an immediate hit, with its warren of intimate and enclosed bars, lit by old carriage lamps, and its unique features such as the Inglenook fireplace beneath which is buried the entrance to a secret tunnel leading under the Limpsfield Road to the nearby almshouses.

And its worth looking out for the carved wooden post which precariously supports one end of the particularly low beam running across the main bar area. It was taken from the corner of an Elizabethan four poster bed whose springs once bounced along to an amorous romp between Shakespeare-wannabe, Christopher Marlowe, and a mystery milkmaid from nearby Chelsham.

During the 19th Century, the Lions services were more diverse than they are today, selling general provisions as well as beer much like some of the bars in rural Ireland still do to this day.

Inside the pub, the atmosphere was often gloomy, with little sunshine breaking through the smoke-fugged rooms and, not surprisingly perhaps, there have been many sightings of apparitions in the main bar area after closing time when all but the bar staff have gone.

One notable encounter was in 1913 when Dorothea Tremayne-Wilkinson, the daughter of a local wealthy businessmen, big in steam-driven suction pumps for cesspits, found herself collecting glasses as a favour to her barmaid friend.

She heard a noise in the main bar, poked her head round the door and saw at the bar a young girl dressed in white standing next to a florid-faced man with heavy black Cavalry whiskers, banging soundlessly on the bar top, apparently demanding a drink.

I now understand that this could be Colonel Manley Pilkington and his young wife, Cecilia, who tragically died in 1824 while waiting for a coach to London. They were both pushed under the hooves of the oncoming horses by jealous rival, Frederick Fawshaw, and his rather simple-minded brother, Jebediah, who were both later hanged for their crimes.

Ah Rossco! How fortunate for you to have been brought up in such a wonderful historical atmosphere :super: while we Colonials & offspring of convicts can only wonder at the wonderful history of the Old Country.

Whilst we skite how great Oz is, we tend to forget the history & heritage that has made us thus.

lostthread.gif

:beer:

duck n swan is ok but rather quiet.
I've still got my Duck N Swan member badge on my keys from 8-10 years ago. I was a dirty megaswiller there, and my mate lived acros the road until he moved next door. Its' quiet, (and like doc said - better when the family owned it) but the rose had some talent! :D

InCider.

Can't just about every pub in that part of the world claim that one? :party:

ha ha :D
He ended up in my mates house and stayed for 3 days! he drank all the vodka and wouldn't leave. In the end he had to play a show in England and left wearing my mates shoes (his feet are all bloated and horrible from drink,methadone & who knows what else)

Ross, thats some pub. A former farm house? I would love to have a few jars in there. My current local used to be a Centrelink office...and it's still the best place in town <_<

i remember shooting some video for a little doco in some of the Pirie pubs. the main one (first one to close down i think) was LOUD. The music was so LOUD that the tape would lose synch because the camera was getting hammered by the sound. This wasn't a handycam either, it was a huge over the shoulder betacam tv camera.
My brother went to see the Angels play there and he couldn't hear for about 3 days.

Ah, the Jube. Remember it well and saw some pretty decent bands there too. I remember the uv flouros over the bar so you couldn't see anything unless it was white.

View attachment 12591

Ross,

There certainly are some historical and quaint pubs in the UK. Whereabouts is the White Lion you speak of located?

C&B
TDA

Back