Should I split this brew or go with it?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel Mcleod

Reaction score
Gday fellas. Well had a bit of an experiment brew day. I wanted 2 try a vanilla stout recipe.So without much thought or reaserch, I came up with following.
33L water pre boil. OG...beats me? Got a 20L cube full but.
2 x cans coopers stout
500g of mangrov jacks choc malt
BIAB 600g of uncle toby instant oats
2 x vanilla beans in cube scraped/chop
2 x vanilla beans after ferment

So I mashed the oats in at 40deg for 10min. Raised it to 65 for 1hr. I cold steeped choc grains & added to oats in grain bag at end of mash. Raised bag & raised water temp to 78degrees for mashout. Added 1st can Pre boil. brought 2 boil for 1hr. Last 15min added 2nd can. After boil, left whirlpool for 1/2hr & cubeded with vanilla pods.

My main questions are this:
- Without malted grains in the mash, what has the oats added to the wort? It looked like I had a 50Lpot of pva glue. Haha!!
- Should I split the cube & make 2 batches?
- If I leave it as a single batch will the 2can stout be too bitter & drown out the vanilla?
Now I feel like a dumb ass & ruined a brew 2 boot. At least I learnt somthing I spose
Any advise would be great. Cheers.

The oats should have been mashed with base malt, yes.As they are instant they should already be gelatinised but they have no conversion enzymes of their own.

Wouldn't say ruined and only time and taste will tell you that. Just read a bit more about the principles of madhing and how and why it works.

Latest posts

Back