Should I bulk prime, or leave at 2c?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clutch

Brew your own beer, you'll save money.
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I've got 40l of smoked wheat and 40l of porter sitting at 2c currently.
Now, I have not got a Co2 bottle yet, and won't for a few months, but I have the kegs and I'm wondering should I bulk prime them and refrigerate, or do i leave them as they are?
The other option is bottling them, but I'm trying to refrain from bottling so I can have all my swingtops ready to sell to fund the co2 bottle purchase.

I'm concerned that they won't seal properly, and that I can't purge them.

Any ideas or advice would be great.

Keg them at 2C and prime with sugar.

As you raise temperature to let the kegs carbonate there will be co2 released from solution and pressure will seal the keg. As the sugar is consumed, it will carbonate and seal harder.

You havnt got one of those little keg chargers?

How do you purge the air naturally carbing Kegs?

Nope, no keg charger. This is my dilemma.

I haven't naturally carbonated before, but i think the theory is that as the yeast consumes the sugar to carbonate, it'll also consume some of the oxygen in the keg.
Add to that, as you rack to the ket, i reckon you'll have a CO2 blanket on the top due to some coming out of suspension, so i reckon you'll probably be ok.

But if you're going to wait until you have gas to dispense anyway, you may as well just wait. But there's no reason that you can't start drinking before you get gas if you naturally carbonate.

Latest posts

Back