Should i add more yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cansofculture

Reaction score
I have had a brew brewing for over a week. When i first put my hydrometer in it reads 1010.. leave it a few minutes and it goes up to 1040. Its a sarsparilla and its been in there over a week.. not sure if i dont know how to read the hydrometre or its not working.. samples taste different.. less sweet.. but im unsure... i have more yeast.. but am worried adding it will create bad flavors.. i have 5g of champagin yeast. The same as what i added initially.. i also mixed 2 packs of the flavoring as i had a spare.. but only 1 yeast packet.. 1kg dextros 1x brew enhancer

Do filter your sample before measuring to remove CO2?

The rising CO2 can lift the hydrometer somewhat, skewing the results.

Admittedly I wouldn't expect it to drive it that far out of the solutiong (i.e. from 1010 up to 1040), however if you're hydrometer is moving about, somethings not right with the measuring process..

Yeah i am unsure.. it measures 0 ok with water.. i havn't gotten the c02 out of it.. but it doesnt seem crazy bubbly. Also.. 1040 wpuld indicate pretty much no fermentation had taken place

Sounds like your throwing the hydrometer into the fermenter, which is general a bit of a no-no!
Most hydrometers come in a plastic tube that you can float the hydrometer in, just about 3/4 fill the tube, hold it over the sink and lower the hydrometer in, let it overflow if it wants to.
Leave it to sit for 10 minutes or so, this lets the temperature of the Hydro and the brew to equalise which stops bubbles growing on the hydrometer and lifting it up (as above)
Gently tap or spin the hydrometer to detach any bubbles and take your reading.

Putting it in the fermenter is a pretty good way to insure an infection.
There are probably a couple of squillion YouTube vids on how to get a good reading - and more than one way to do it - probably using a consistent method is the best advice.
Mark

Sounds like your throwing the hydrometer into the fermenter, which is general a bit of a no-no!
Most hydrometers come in a plastic tube that you can float the hydrometer in, just about 3/4 fill the tube, hold it over the sink and lower the hydrometer in, let it overflow if it wants to.
Leave it to sit for 10 minutes or so, this lets the temperature of the Hydro and the brew to equalise which stops bubbles growing on the hydrometer and lifting it up (as above)
Gently tap or spin the hydrometer to detach any bubbles and take your reading.

Putting it in the fermenter is a pretty good way to insure an infection.
There are probably a couple of squillion YouTube vids on how to get a good reading - and more than one way to do it - probably using a consistent method is the best advice.
Mark
Yeah it definetly wasn't in the fermentor.. the brew is alcoholic.. but still missing carbonation in bottles.. it is also only mildly alcoholic.. but that is probably the nature of the kit i brewed. Thanks for the advice.. hydrometre worked as normal for my ginger beer.. not sure what happened with the sars

Latest posts

Back