Shelving for Keg Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulbroad

Reaction score
Hi all

I have just made the long awaited move to kegging (and NEVER going back to bottling!), and picked up a bargain last weekend in the shape of this beer fridge. It certainly fits the bill of (actually it exceeds) what I was looking for, but like all things I’ve done with my brewing to date, the whole idea is gathering momentum and I want to make it bigger and better.

photo.JPG

The fridge itself is an excellent size and should easily hold 4 kegs, perhaps even five or six if I can get the placement of the kegs right and incorporate some shelving internally. What I’m looking for advice on is how to either strengthen or replace the current shelf seen in the picture to ensure that it can carry the weight of two full kegs. Has anybody done this type of thing before, and if so, how did you go about doing it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a very similar looking fridge. You should be able to fit 4x 19L and 2x 9.5L kegs in there. It will be snug, but it should fit. You will have to build a custom shelf or reinforce the current one to hold the weight.

Get a piece of marine ply from the Jolly green shed and cut it to fit in as a shelf. It should hold the weight I'd reckon.

I sandwiched some pine batons between two sheets of ply and screwed the whole thing together. Slides right into the existing slots on the fridge. Can hold a LOT of weight.

Not the best pic, but I used some wood to help transfer weight to lower shelves as I have 5 kegs and some extra drinks on the one shelf.

keg_freezer_bracing_zps21f235f0.jpg

Thanks everybody. A couple of really good suggestions there.

Should be enough to get something rigged up by the time i get the next couple of kegs.

Cheers
Paul

Back