Shelf life for can of malt extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chubbytaxman

Reaction score
Brewers ....

Strange question time.
I usually brew AG, however, I have been given a "Brew Cellar" kit containing all the good gear - PET bottles, fermenter, spoon ......
It came with a can of LME - Morgans Australian Lager - with an expiry date of 2012.
My BIL has had it for a while but not opened it :blink:

My question is ... Can this be made up into an Aussie Lager or is it too far gone?
I have thrown the dehydrated yeast ... :D

Thanks all

Cheers

chubby

Don't bother making beer with extract or kits past or even close to best before date. I moved house a Couple of years ago and only recently found a tin of lme kick in around in a box that had been forgotten about. I wondered what I could do with it rather than ruin a beer with it I put it on some pork ribs and on the bbq, tasted awesome ended up putting a steak in a lme marinade for the next night

Use it as a door stop......

Keep it for when you might get into making yeast starters.

I pour mine into a wide-ish tupperware container and spoon out about 2 tablespoons per 500mL of water to make starter wort.
Container lives in the freezer when not being used for starters.

Thanks gents ... Was kinda thinking it would be no good but had to ask.

MaltyHops said:
Keep it for when you might get into making yeast starters.

I pour mine into a wide-ish tupperware container and spoon out about 2 tablespoons per 500mL of water to make starter wort.
Container lives in the freezer when not being used for starters.
MH thats a good idea - wondering though would the syrup freeze or crystalise if kept in freezer?

cheers

chubby

chubbytaxman said:
MH thats a good idea - wondering though would the syrup freeze or crystalise if kept in freezer?
In a normal home freezer, it gets quite hard but still workable using brute force - why I move it to the fridge when I'm making starters. Probably need a much colder freezer to freeze it solid - haven't seen it crystalise before.

Back