Shelf for the Kegerator. Advice needed.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewologist

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Last week I acquired a new fridge to turn into a kegerator. It is a Westinghouse Silhouette 442 Fridge/Frezzer. It fits four cornies nicely without any modification and there is a bit of room left over for bottled beer etc.

Since my last kegerator was an upside fridge, I didn't have to worry about the compressor hump and the fridge compartment had a flat bottom which made it easy to put the keg in the fridge.

So... my question is what are people using to make a shelf above the compressor hump in their fridges? I've read everything from a few bricks wrapped in glad wrap to support the shelf :huh: to customised wooden contraptions.

What I would really like to do is get some plate steel, cut it to size, and slide it in the bottom rail mount of the fridge. It seems easier/less time consuming than fabricating a wooden shelf but will the rail mount in the fridge take the weight of 100kgs? I'm sure the plate steel won't bend, just not sure about the runners in the fridge itself. The runners are full length, about 400mm deep. The steel plate would have to be 610mm x 450mm to accommodate the kegs.

I've searched AHB and googled but haven't seen the method I'd like to try so I'm hoping there is someone on the forum that has tried this. So before I reduce the headroom in my fridge compartment by busting the bottom runners, has anyone got any advice?

Cheers and beers.

Just cut a piece of plate to cover the wire shelf (I've done mine with Aluminium checker plate), The side slots will support the weight no problem.

Cheers Ross

Cheers Ross,

Thats what I wanted to hear mate.

Off to the sheet metal yard after work.

Thanks,

Just got off the phone to the sheet metal place.

3mm x 610mm x 450mm = $50

Is 3mm going to to be thick enough?

Cheers,

Ok Just to wrap this thread up.

I got the Ali plate this arvo and chucked it in the fridge. I also had the front bent up to add more support. I chucked a 2x4 on top of the compressor hump to add support at the back. Looks good and will be able to fit a slab on the bottom of the fridge.

Waiting on some perlick 525SS's to complete the fridge.

New Keg Fridge.jpg

New Keg Fridge2.jpg

Here's another way to do it.
Just an ancient bar fridge but fits another 2 x cornies when needed or 1 x 30-litre fermenter or keeps starter temps stable.

Starter Temp Control.JPG

I just made mine from wood, it's a basic design with two sides and a top, the top sits on the hump. granted my design probably takes up a little more room but plenty of space for two fermenters.

Latest posts

Back