Shake The Bottle After Filling ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheel

Reaction score
I prime each bottle, fill then cap (maybe do 6 at a time, then repeat)

should i shake after capping? does it have any effect?

was thinking about it and wondering about the "air" (oxygenation) in the bottle & shaking.
or would a bit of co2 come out of solution and push the air out (i use one of those tube things)

was thinking about it and wondering about the "air" (oxygenation) in the bottle & shaking.
or would a bit of co2 come out of solution and push the air out (i use one of those tube things)

I used to do this all the time back when i used to bottle, from what I understand the yeast will consume the oxygen during secondary fermentation (carbing up)

Dont take my word for it though, im pretty new to brewing.

Rather than shake them, just slowly invert the bottles once a day or something for the first week or two. No need to get agressive with em' :lol:

I was a shaker when I primed bottles with dex or sugar although they say it is not required with carb drops.

Don't worry about oxidisation I never had it happen there is only a tiny amount of air in the space between the beer and cap if you used the bottling wand.

Whats the shaking for? I have never done this but i think i remember something about it on that coopers video that i watched 10 years ago! I've never shaken a bottle, bottling time is long enough without having to shake them all!

I'm a shaker... (in the bottling sense :blink: )

I prime all my bottles with table sugar (i know, i know...use something better...) then fill and cap as I go. Once all filled I go back over the lot to tighten the caps (PET bottles) and turn them all upside down 2-3 times to mix the sugar through the beer.

Dont touch them for weeks till they go in the fridge...

Occasionally, if they still feel 'soft' after a couple of weeks ill give them another turn or two but thats rare...

could be caffeine withdrawals <_<

I always did invert the bottle a couple of time to help mix the sugar into the beer. I think it would not be the end of the world either way, but you would most likely get the yeasties to chew the sugaz quicker if mixed.

QldKev

A little off topic, but kinda something I eluded to earlier...what does everyone use to prime with?

I've almost always used table sugar (castor) or sometimes raw/brown sugar when bottling darker beers and generally had good success with both. I have tried dextrose once, and found that my beers were not anywhere near as carb'ed as I would have liked, and they also had much less head retention...

I assume theres and article somewhere which I should probably had searched for first, but just being lazy...ill go look now unless someone can quickly help out?

could be caffeine withdrawals <_<

lol no caffeine problems here.... coffee is my other addiction....
the coffee machines and equipment fight for space in the workshop with the brewery equipment :)
one puts me to sleep and the other wakes me up.

i just use white table sugaz, i asked Ross at CB if there was anything better for bottling and he didn't really think there was that would "improve" the brew.

Yep when I bottled, I always just ended up using plain old white sugar.

QldKev

I use white table sugar because it doesn't affect the flavour of the beer even slightly, which is what I want out of a carbonation sugar really. Shaking is not necessary, the sugar (granulated sugar) will diffuse in time, I guarantee it. A carb drop might be a different story, the surface area of a carb drop is much much smaller, so it might have trouble dissolving?

When I used carb drops I would never bother with a shake or even inverting the bottles. The drop would just sit on the bottom of the bottle and slowly get smaller over time. I noticed that it would usually be completely dissolved with a couple of hours.

Anyway, by the time I cracked the beers they were carbed.....too much for my liking! So just letting it sit VS shaking doesn't make a difference in my opinion.

No need to shake the bottles.

Depending on the yeast used I will, for some batches, gently invert the bottles once or twice during the first week after bottling. For example, WY1968 is a very fast hard floculator, and I will want to resuspend the yeast and sugar to accelarate the carbonation process.

With other yeasts, such as WY1056, WY3068, WLP001 etc, I don't bother. They all get there in the end.

I invert my bottles three times after capping while I walk from the bench to the box on the garage floor.

When I used twist top bottles the added benefit was that the inversion makes some CO2 come out of solution and if you havn't got a good seal you can hear some gas escape, then give it another go with the capper. Not a problem now that I have all roll-top bottles.

I find doing the macarena with each individual bottle ensures even carbonation. Great workout too. Who needs zumba?

Just kidding!, I shake em

Just a thought, if you are used pet bottles you will know if you haven't tightened the cap enough or if one is leaking.

I shake, to be sure, to be sure :rolleyes:
No affiliation to any Irishman

Back