Setting Up A Tap A Draft System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeeTwo

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and hoping to find other TAD users. I considered using a full keg system but have gone for the mini keg route. Mind you it has cost about the same as setting up a full keg system.

I have 12 x 6 litre Bottles and 3 dispensing heads. I have used the system on a Coopers "Real Ale" and I was totally satisfied as were friends who helped me polish it off.

I am thinking of using 3 bottles per brew and using long necks for the remainder of the 24 litres. I agree that using the soda bulbs is expensive but overall the beer costs about $3.50 + $2 for bulbs. Time and equipment is not factored in.

I primed the first beer I trialed for 3 weeks, With the extra bottles I should go out to 3 months. I intend to get a shelf system and install it in my shed to house both the empty TAD bottles and those primed and aging.

I have not come across a negative on these devices. I dismantled one of the dispensers and am impressed with the design. The two halves of the regulator are identical, the tap syatem virtually fool proof. I would like to obtain a length of the surgical type rubber tubing used for the cutoff. There is a repair kit available but other than the tubing and o rings there really is no wearing parts.

I am going to a house warming tomorrow and have 6 litres cooled down in a fridge for 3 days. I will apply the dispenser and one cartridge prior to leaving and take two more cartridges with me. One extra just in case. After all I have my brewing reputation to maintain.

I use a green bag to carry it and a flexible freezer pad I wrap round it to keep it cool.

For me now producing beer is no longer a chore. It takes 30 mins to start a brew. 15 mins to transfer to a secondary and say 60 mins to sanitise, bottle and clean up. Make that 2 hrs per batch.

I have two secondaries so that once on a roll I can fill up the bottles in a short time and build up stock.

I am very pleased with the pour and for the first time I have a nice creamy head which sticks to the glass. I have always used kits and other than dark beers most of the Draughts have little head retention. I am trialing steeped grains and corn syrup with some success.

So if someone else uses this system and has advice I would be keen on hearing from you

Terry

I too started with the TAD option, but went to full kegs as a matter of course anyway.

I now use the TAD for Irish reds, and stouts, where I can use a creme charge to carbonate with nitrogen.

They also make a very handy 6 litre alcopop dispensers for parties.

The bottles also fit perfectly in the "FRIJ" (the 1980's grey esky for about half a dozen cans)

Fester out.

frij.jpg

I used a Tap-A-Draft system for a few months, but I found the cost OTT to continue using it. Local to me, I have been paying $14 for a box of Co2 bulbs, and for a 23/24L batch of beer it's been adding $11.20 (provided I only use two charges per 6L bottle) to the cost of a batch.

I can't fault the equipment itself. It works nicely and does what it says on the box. But for $11 a batch, I'll be bottling thanks. The good news is that the 6L bottles have now found themselves as fermenters and big bottles. I can do small 5L special batches in the bottles, or if I'm going to a party, just take a 6L bottle of beer and a beer jug, just like a huge longneck.

If you have a cheaper source of Co2 bulbs, or don't mind the cost, then there's nothing wrong that I can see with the Tap-a-Draft system.

Checkout Finewhip 36 boxes for $199 = $5.50/box I am working on an expanding pouch for the TAD, Party Pig style. If this works it will go over well. May need a slightly different inlet tube however.
Here is another idea:-
Drill a empty soda cartridge at the bottom and solder in a Schroda valve. This valve will poke through the bottom of the plastic cap. Now the primed beer is still charged with one soda charger but at half way the system is repressured with a bike pump. This is good at a party or if the beer will be consumed within a few days. Cuts cost down.

The beer machine I believe uses the fermenting C02 to pressurise the system. Another point to check, however it would tie up a dispenser.

Latest posts

Back