Setting Up A 50 Litre Keg For Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattress

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm trying to set up for all grain brew in a bag.

I've got a 50litre keg from Ebay on the way
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220886329575?ss...984.m1497.l2649

It has the spear removed and a hole pre-drilled for a tap. I've found some instructions on the net on how to cut a hole in the top and turn it into a keggle. It was probably a bit expensive for a keg, but living in Canberra limits your options for these type of things.

I have a 23 jet Mongolian burner and a wort chiller on the way from Grain and Grape.

I need to know what type of tap I should get and whether I need a false bottom for the keggle.

Any other advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mattress

Was looking into doing the same thing a while back but still havent got round to it :blink: , here is a link to an earlier thread on this topic Biab Mash Tun hope this helps, should be a few others out there to.

Thanks Big E,

I was trying to use the search function but wasn't having much luck. Musn't have been typing in the right words.

If it were me i would put in a weldless ball valve in as the tap, from any of the sponsers on the top of the page. Brass or stainless its up to you. I dont think you will need a false bottom because you will brew in a bag so no need to worry about that. Keep it simple.

No worries, yeah the search option can be a pain in the arse sometimes becasue of the shear amount of info on here, i find using the google option in the search tab to be the best.

Definitely use the google powered search instead of the default forum search if you aren't already.

You won't need a FB in there, but some might suggest using a cake rack in there to keep the bag from possibly melting on the bottom. Personally I use a 3 ring + ali pot, no cake rack, and have not had an issue with the bag, as long as I keep stirring when I've got the burner going fullbore. YMMV

SS 3 piece ball valves are the best for kettles, easy to break apart and clean which is worth the extra price IMO.

As per others, if with a bag, no FB. And full SS 3PC valve is the go. Full 1/2" to speed liquid flow.

One thing to keep in mind however, is that the hole in the keg is not drilled for a tap. It's drilled for a weldless element. These use a larger hole than your typical ball valve that we use.

One thing to keep in mind however, is that the hole in the keg is not drilled for a tap. It's drilled for a weldless element. These use a larger hole than your typical ball valve that we use.

That can be sorted out by using a reducing bush (1.25" to .5" from memory)

Not sure why all the advice on not using a FB for BIAB. I am still using a racking cain to transfer.

I would think a FS would make it easier to get all the wort out and leave the gunk behind (hot break and hops).

Not sure why all the advice on not using a FB for BIAB. I am still using a racking cain to transfer.

I would think a FS would make it easier to get all the wort out and leave the gunk behind (hot break and hops).

The break material would go through the FB, and depending on whether he's using flowers or pellets, then the hops could do too.

Personally, I BIAB with no FB or cake rack, and a hop sock. I get clear wort into FV.

When I think of a FB I think of a hop screen or hop stopper or whatever you want to call it. No need to have any other gadget in a kettle.

Sorry for the mix up of terms.

Can't believe no one has mentioned a Handy Pale, it can be your grain bucket when you mill, it can be bag and your sparge vessel, don't leave home with out it....

Thanks everyone for the help.

My keg, burner, stand and wort chiller arrived today.

Now to get building :D

i would consider cutting the top right off the keg just leaving the handles like in the link

i have a keggle with just a whole in the top, the bag snags a bit when lifting.... i think i am going to drag out the grinder "again" and cut it right off like malted's pic
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=56042

Go to Target grab a 28cm tempered glass pot lid for $12 trace the lid of the keggle and cut to suit. then use it as a lid on your keggle... easy. Bag always came out fine through that opening with anything less than a 10kg grainbill.

Latest posts

Back