Setting The Gap On A Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drtomc

Fermentationist
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just took delivery of a Mashmaster mini mill. Looks great.

How do you measure the gap? Or do you not measure the gap and just adjust until you're happy with the crush?

T.

option number 2. run some grain through it and see if it works or not. I am a little agricultural sometimes though.

A credit card is about 1mm (the embossed numbers are wider). That seems to be a good starting point. I use a set of feeler gauges.

go to bunnings in the tool section, just ask for a feeler gauge. Think mine was about $15. Use that to set and adjust anytime you want.

yep feeler guages are designed just for this type of application (measuring distance between two points).

I've got the same mill (bloody ripper of a mill) and i reckon i've got the gap set at .15mm but am considering dropping it back a tad closer to .1mm

Last 2 posters - 0.1 of a mm?
I use a credit card (as per post #3) and am pretty happy with the crush. I get a little flour, but I think thats more because of the poor speed control with my black and decker crank handle than my gap setting.

I too got my minimill recently. Searching around I have settled on 0.96mm for a mill speed of a tad over 100rpm (worm-gear reduced electric motor) - Put it to the visual test in a week I hope.

Feeler gauges come in a set, not singles. Well worth having if you want to be accurate. I also suggest you measure your gap at each end of the rollers, as the gaps may be slightly different at each end. My adjusters need to be one step different on each side to give me a consistent gap, but that may just be my mill.

And the gap should not be 0.1 mm, that's way too small.

I have one of the original MillMasters and have the gap set at 1.1 mm. I hand mill mine, and it gives me great efficiency.
I 3V brew, but I believe for BIAB the gap could be set smaller.

go to bunnings in the tool section, just ask for a feeler gauge. Think mine was about $15. Use that to set and adjust anytime you want.
yep... a set

or go the cheap arse options like useing drill bits :)

And the gap should not be 0.1 mm, that's way too small.

Yep, sorry OP, i had been drinking when i posted how i set my gap.

Should definitely be 1.5mm gap on my mill, not .15mm

You could probably bake a cake with the flour produced with a crush at .15mm!

I BIAB and my monster is set to 0.020" or 0.5 mm. Hand milled. :beerbang:

Last 2 posters - 0.1 of a mm?
I use a credit card (as per post #3) and am pretty happy with the crush. I get a little flour, but I think thats more because of the poor speed control with my black and decker crank handle than my gap setting.

Sorry about that Spork. Too many beers? :p
Just a typo. Actually meant 1.0160. Will edit my post right now.

TP

Hey Gibbo do you knock down a tin of spinach first?

I got a handle for mine just in case my motor died, dont think l would like to handcrank 5 kg

Back