Selling My Homebrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoidbergmerc

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Quick question, am I allowed to sell my homebrew to the general public out of my house?

The reason I ask is because I live right next to the uni and I'd love to supply all those hard studying kids with some cheap and cheerful beer, because I remember when I was studying all I could afford was *shudders* goon.

So I'd sell them for like $1.6 a long neck and then offer discounts when they bought the bottles back.

So yeah, Can I sell my homebrew to the public?

Cheers,

Zoid

yeah you could get a licence. Start here: Linky

You might find you are better off just drinking it youself.

google. i found this in 30 seconds...

http://www.treasury.tas.gov.au/domino/dtf/...A2572F0000119CD

"Liquor
To sell liquor in Tasmania you need to be authorised under the Liquor Licensing Act 1990. Once you have a licence you need authorisation before you change something significant about your business, such as altering the area of your premises or transferring the licence to another person. You are also required to help minimise the harm associated with the sale and supply of liquor, including Responsible Service of Alcohol. "

You could charge people money for a six pack holder and they receive free of charge; 6 bottles of homebrew!

How pretty sure are you?

And is there anyway I could get a licence or something to sell it?

Must be a big set up? Licence? no one needs one of those, What you do need is good beer, a good consistent supply of, maybe a label will help............................................. Then............ a license. That thing REAL operators have to pay!
I think you are having the forum on? or nondescript.

yeah you could get a licence. Start here: Linky

You might find you are better off just drinking it youself.

Whilst that is to do with selling, he's manufacturing as well so it's a lot more complicated than just a liquer licence.
In a nutshell - it's not going to happen unless you got a lot of money and time spare.

Not without paying hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in licensing fees, undergoing numerous checks on your beer to determine if it is safe to sell and its alcohol content to determine the tax you'd have to pay on it, getting an A.B.N. and declaring all material costs, losses, profits etc. etc. ad nauseum.

That is if you want to be able to sell it legally of course.

Must be a big set up? Licence? no one needs one of those, What you do need is good beer, a good consistent supply of, maybe a label will help............................................. Then............ a license. That thing REAL operators have to pay!
I think you are having the forum on? or nondescript.

Well excuse me for having an idea to make lots of cheap drinkable beer to feed to poor uni students and not thinking it through in the slightest.

I was thinking I could get a club liquor licence and then make a society at the university that was free to join and members got to buy my cheap homebrew.

Quality control would come into it also! Not the best idea!

Quality control would come into it also! Not the best idea!

Ah well, it was a fun idea while it lasted :(

I'll let you know when I have another stupid idea.

I did like that six pack holder idea though

If you're trying to help students out, give them some beer rather than charging them for it. Or better still, hold a brew day and teach them how to do it themselves. Remember, give a man a homebrew and you'll quench his thirst, teach a man to brew and he'll be drunk a lot longer...

Mate you can do it, it's just not legal. I may or may not have used to do this with distilling back when I was at uni.

If you know the kids just do it IMO. If you don't, well I wouldn't go and hand out flyers or anything.

Latest posts

Back