• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Self Chilling SS Fermenter

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Belgrave Brewer

Reaction score
Last edited:

pirateagenda

Reaction score
They have a demo model on the floor at the Brewers Den homebrew shop in Woori Yallock, VIC if you want to see it before purchasing. I have seen it and it appears to be Chinese made.
Cheers - i'm up in Wollongong though so a bit far to check out.

Yes, they are definitely chinese - but do they look like complete POS's or of reasonable quality?

Belgrave Brewer

Reaction score
Cheers - i'm up in Wollongong though so a bit far to check out.

Yes, they are definitely chinese - but do they look like complete POS's or of reasonable quality?
Reasonable quality, yes. It's been a while since I've seen it. You might have to switch out some bits but the conical itself should do the job just fine.

I went with the 70L (50L plus headspace) Brew-Tek fermentors as they are much better quality. They have different sizes and come in both jacketed and unjacketed. I've plumbed mine into a glycol system from Keg King.

pirateagenda

Reaction score
Reasonable quality, yes. It's been a while since I've seen it. You might have to switch out some bits but the conical itself should do the job just fine.

I went with the 70L (50L plus headspace) Brew-Tek fermentors as they are much better quality. They have different sizes and come in both jacketed and unjacketed. I've plumbed mine into a glycol system from Keg King.
Thanks, I'll have a look into them... am needing something 1BBL sized or bigger though.

the ebay ones with their own chillers are cheaper than most other jacketed uni's of the same size!

Lionman

Reaction score
One issue would be support. If something goes wrong with it you may be on your own.

It would always be repairable I would say but could get expensive.

Look pretty sweet though. I would love something like that.

Belgrave Brewer

Reaction score

pirateagenda

Reaction score
One issue would be support. If something goes wrong with it you may be on your own.

It would always be repairable I would say but could get expensive.

Look pretty sweet though. I would love something like that.
i'm thinking if the chilling system s**ts itself, you could replace it with a $750 G-40 (could run 2 small ones off each G-40) and still come out in front.

the quotes i have for the self chilling ones are:
120L - $2400
200L - $2800
300L - $3800
400L - $3800 (wierd i know)

for jacketed uni's best landed prices from various suppliers:
120L - $2899 (ss brewtech 1 BBL)
200L - $4500
400L - $5500
plus glycol for any of the above

Tintai in china is about half the price of the landed prices above, but by the time you add in shipping, customs and the pirates ripping you off when your stuff is sitting on a dock, the saving isn't worth the headache for what i'm wanting.

///

Reaction score
Mr Pirate Agenda, this is your IBU conscious here. Seeing I kinda sell a lot of kit I have connections ...

S.E

Reaction score
Are you’re talking bulk buy Scotty? I may be interested, my brew fridge seems to have died today.

S.E

Reaction score
Oops sorry, just realised this isn’t an IBU thread. Fridge is working ok though. Turned out it was a dodgy extension lead.

pirateagenda

Reaction score
Mr Pirate Agenda, this is your IBU conscious here. Seeing I kinda sell a lot of kit I have connections ...
Haha wish i had have seen this a couple months back!

pirateagenda

Reaction score
Yeah i did end up getting the 120L one.

Its decent but not awesome.
-Few welds arent great.
-The heating method is a bit dodgy, but the chiller works really well.
-Its advertised as 120L plus headspace but im not sure it holds 120 plus headspace. Probably more like 105-10 tops.
-The fittings on the bottom are way undersized and block up with hop matter easily so im going to order some bigger fittings

Liquidmalisha

Reaction score
Yeah i did end up getting the 120L one.

Its decent but not awesome.
-Few welds arent great.
-The heating method is a bit dodgy, but the chiller works really well.
-Its advertised as 120L plus headspace but im not sure it holds 120 plus headspace. Probably more like 105-10 tops.
-The fittings on the bottom are way undersized and block up with hop matter easily so im going to order some bigger fittings
Hi Pirateagenda, curious of how the 120L fermenter Is now it’s over a year old, any issues as I’m considering getting one.
Cheers

pirateagenda

Reaction score
Hi Pirateagenda, curious of how the 120L fermenter Is now it’s over a year old, any issues as I’m considering getting one.
Cheers
yeah its still doing the job fine. I have added larger butterfly valves, and a different controller, and thermowell.

chilling system working well, a mate has a smaller one and the chiller shat itself and it was hard for him to get it replaced. I think they sent him a complete 30L version, instead of fixing his 60L version.

Liquidmalisha

Reaction score
yeah its still doing the job fine. I have added larger butterfly valves, and a different controller, and thermowell.

chilling system working well, a mate has a smaller one and the chiller shat itself and it was hard for him to get it replaced. I think they sent him a complete 30L version, instead of fixing his 60L version.
Hey Pirateagenda,
I ended up purchasing the same fermenter as yours that had a faulty compressor so I got it fairly cheap, I’m going to run it on glycol as it’s cheaper to obtain than fix the old one. A few questions.... Where did you fit the thermowell and what one did you buy? Could you send a photo.
id the pressure relief valve accurate and do you use a pressure gauge?
I tried the heater and I got red hot in that tube, bit worried to leave it on as it had no circuit protection, is yours the red cabled type?
Cheers

Latest posts