Seconday Fermentation / Bottle Conditioning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer-bub

Reaction score
Hey all,
Being a home brew newbie still (up to my 6th K&K over a 3 year period lol) I am trying to refine my brewing process. Up until now, I've vaguely followed the directions (other than sanitisation) and the results have not suprisingly shown this.
So anyhow, I've got a brew on at the moment and I've kept it at 20c via the use of an immersion heater. My worry is that when I bottle it, will it carbonate at my current room temps (5-20c) because I'm using the supplied coopers yeast from a lager tin and it is recommended that it stays between 21-27c for a couple of weeks! I've always previously brewed in summer...
Also will the huge fluctuations in temperatures produce off flavours?
Cheers

It will carb if kept under 20 deg but it will just take alot longer, going as low as 5 deg will prolly put the yeast to sleep and might not, try to keep it above 15 deg at least. I've had a batch sitting in my garage which is cold (about 10 deg most of the time) and it's taken 3 months to carb up enough.

Huge fluctuations in temp will stress the yeast and will produce off flavours, a couple of degrees here of there is no prob :icon_cheers:

The cooler you brew the better. Ignore instructions under the lid as people here will tell you - do what the good members of the AHB web site tell you instead. :)

The coopers yeast can handle as low as 16-17 degrees but it will probably go to sleep around 15 degrees. Ignore the advice to keep it above 25 degrees at any stage, ever.

As for bottle fermentation I found that out in my shed (sub 12 degrees in SA at the moment) carbonation just wasn't happening. 2 brews in a row were flat after 10 days in bottles.

I had to bring all my brews (50+ long necks!) inside and by doing this and keeping the bottles at 19 degrees or above the carb factor has kicked back in.

I would try and put all bottles in a warm spot, say 19-25 degrees for at least the first 2 weeks of their life, then you would probably be right to cellar them to mature a little more as the yeast has had a good feed on your priming sugar and produced bubbles by now.

Thanks for the replies guys. :icon_cheers:

My problem now is that I dont have anywhere that is a consistent 15+c, unless I keep the ducted heating on 24/7 for two weeks (doubt the missus would let me!)! I was thinking of making an incubator of some sort that will keep the beer a constant temp, has anyone else done this?

I'm now thinking that most of the initiated use lager yeast during winter and ale yeast in summer?

Thanks for the replies guys. :icon_cheers:

My problem now is that I dont have anywhere that is a consistent 15+c, unless I keep the ducted heating on 24/7 for two weeks (doubt the missus would let me!)! I was thinking of making an incubator of some sort that will keep the beer a constant temp, has anyone else done this?

I'm now thinking that most of the initiated use lager yeast during winter and ale yeast in summer?

I'm sure there is a simpler method to making a warm box but I have hooked an old water bed heater up to a thermostat when the temp goes below the set temp a light will turn on inside the box and this is enough to heat it up. Works a treat to help carbonation during winter. The box will fit 60 tallies no probs.
Cheers Brad

Back