Secondary Heating element to get to strike and boil quicker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pik000

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been playing around with ways to cut down my brewing time and the longest part that isn't time dependent is getting the water to strike temp and getting it to the boil.

Does anyone have experience or ideas about using a secondary heating element that isn't drilled into the pot? eg Sous Vide stick. Currently I use a 2000W element but would like to add another one just for heating the water until it is up to temp.

Any thoughts, ideas, tips would be appreciated

Why not try something like this? This is the first one that came up on a quick google search, but there's bound to be countless others around.

Lots of people use them in the mash to raise the temp, as well as the boi with great success.

JD

Yep - try eBay, similar for from around $10. Just watch your wattage, you can only pull a certain amount of juice out of a single power point or circuit.
The other thing that can help a lot is good insulation, if you can wrap your kettle in something that keeps the heat in, the water/wort will heat up a lot faster
Mark

The other thing that can help a lot is good insulation, if you can wrap your kettle in something that keeps the heat in, the water/wort will heat up a lot faster
Mark

And a lid over your HLT. My strike water comes to temp about 30% quicker with a lid (it's already insulated with ceramic paint).

And a lid over your HLT. My strike water comes to temp about 30% quicker with a lid (it's already insulated with ceramic paint).

What product did you get to insulate your lid? I currently have clark rubber insulation that seems to help pretty well.

Why not try something like this? This is the first one that came up on a quick google search, but there's bound to be countless others around.
Something like that looks good, or the ones you can find on ebay, just need a way to safely attach it while heating.

What product did you get to insulate your lid? I currently have clark rubber insulation that seems to help pretty well.

Something like that looks good, or the ones you can find on ebay, just need a way to safely attach it while heating.

I just use a saucepan lid, with a few layers of foil underneath. There's probably a better option out there, but works for me. My HLT is coated in ceramic paint which helps insulate the water as it's heating.

Most of the over the side elements have a hook, so you should be able to hang it on the edge of your HLT with it sitting in the water.

JD

You could plug your existing 2000W element in to timer and thermostat and set it to start heating an hour or so before you plan to start brewing so your HLT is ready and waiting for you at strike temp when you begin. Then use an over the side element to bring your kettle to boil faster.

Latest posts

Back