Secondary Fermenting In Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchbrew76

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am about to move on from bottling and buy kegging gear. My question is does anyone secondary ferment in the keg as opposed to using co2 for carbination
:beer:

I had a go at it and it seemed to work ok. I have only done it once, so I am sure you'll get plenty of better answers than mine.
The sediment will settle once chilled and pretty much stay out of the pour, just don't disturb the keg when it is all hooked up...

Plenty of people do this, me included.
Two things to make life a little easier,
1 Only use half the priming sugars you would use for the batch if you were bottling.
2 Once in the keg give it a squirt of CO2 from the bottle to seal the keg and replace the air in the headspace with CO2, you'll need to burp the keg a couple of times to do this.
Cheers
Nige

You can shorten the beer out dip tube so it's not drawing from the yeast slurry on the bottom as well.

cheers

Grant

You can shorten the beer out dip tube so it's not drawing from the yeast slurry on the bottom as well.

cheers

Grant
If you want to do this don't actually cut the dip tube but bend it slightly so it doesn't reach as low into the keg.
I don't bother as after the first pint or two you get clear beer anyway.
Nige

I've been donig this recently to carb up my kegs.
Keg fridge full, plus I was out of gas (gulp) so full kegs were sitting out anyway, thought why the hell not, and chucked in 90g sugar (amount off the top of my head from reading) into a Pale Ale I was kegging.

about two weeks later, in the fridge it goes to chill down, and hook it up to tap.. light carbonation, and a real creamy head, that i'm guessing is from the keg carb and conditioning, that you dont get from out the gas bottle.

Great once you get full kegs, and ones ready to go, cos you can have an almost carbed keg, just chill and tap, and away you go.

It also lends itself to many 'samples' being taken to check carbonation levels once tapped..

I'm not sure about the 'half priming sugar' reason for keg priming - I need to do some reading I think to hunt down the basis.

thanks all for your responses and suggestions.

Cheers
:beer:

Back