Secondary Fermentation And Bottling/clarity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreadhead

Reaction score
Hi, currently have an extract/specialty grain APA on the go at 17 deg, and was planning the following steps:

1. Once primary fermentation is complete, chill fermenter in fridge until it reaches around 5degs.
2. Add Polyclar and let settle for 2-3 days.
3. Rack to secondary, and cold condition at ~5 deg for a couple of weeks

In relation to the next step (i.e carbonation/bottling), should I raise the temp of the secondary back to room temperature before bottling, and leave to carbonate at room temp in the bottle? or just bottle it cold? Do large temperature variations have any influence on the wort once fermentation is complete?

Is the addition of polyclar even necessary? as I have been told that extract has already had a lot of the haze proteins precipitated out, and only around 15% of my grain bill is specialty grain.

Any advice on these steps would be appreciated, cheers

The use of polyclar is a matter of choice. Personaly, I use it, and would do so in an extracts as well as all grain.
As far as bottling, I don't see any point in waiting for the cube to come up to temp before bottling. As long as the bottles themselves come up to temp, its 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.

Large fluctuations in temp of the stored beer once fermentation in the bottle is complete can have a negetive effect. It's not as bad as during fermentation, obviously, but it can still (at least theorietically) cause some funky things to happen. (autolysis, shorter shelf life, etc.). This is a can, and not a will, though, and a lot of the precursors to staling are removed by the polyclar.

Bottling cold is better than warming up first. Partly because oxidation reactions will be slower at the lower temp. Partly because it takes a long time for dissolved CO2 to get back to equilibrium, so if you warm the secondary then bottle you will find it foams during bottling as the CO2 tries to jump out of solution.

Back