Sea Salt in RIS extract kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tresston24

Reaction score
Hello...

Just wondering if anyone has ever added sea salt to their Russian Imperial Stouts? What can I expect as far as flavor profiles go? I used a London Ale yeast to ferment and added 0.75 ounces of sea salt at the end of the boil. I haven't been able to find much as far as sea salt goes. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out. I'll be taking a gravity reading in two days as primary is finishing up after 9 days. I'll give it a try and see what, if anything the salt added. It smells great at this time and I'm hoping the salt enhances the flavor. I don't want it to be a primary flavor of the beer.... I'm looking for it to compliment the roasted coffee and chocolate flavors.

Hit up Bribie, he used some seawater in a brew recently, I believe

Salt will have an effect on the suplhate:chloride ratio increasing the chloride.
This will enhance the maltiness which could work well in a RIS if not overdone.

Hey guys.....just wanted to give an update on the RIS. This was a an extract kit fermented with a London Ale yeast (Wyeast)....OG was 1.091 and after 10 days was down to 1.028. I added 21g of Sea Salt at the end of the boil. It doesn't seem to be hindering the yeast at all. While taking the reading I sampled the beer. It had a great roasted coffee/chocolate flavor. What surprised me the most was the complex but yet "smoothness" to this beer. If this is any indication of what the final product is going to be I can't wait to see what some age does for this beer. I would like to believe the Sea Salt enhanced the flavors of the beer and will definitely use it again. It does not have a "salty" or "briny" taste at all. Not sure I would use more than I did. I hope this helps for anyone thinking about using Sea Salt in their brew.

Back