Scratches On The Inside Of Beer Kit Can

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiro

Reaction score
Hi,

Just put down two brews. Today was the first time I've changed over to a metal spoon the help mix the wort instead of a plastic spoon. After I was done I noticed I scratched the white stuff inside on parts of all of the cans I was using when trying to get the last of the kit out of the can. I then got the spoon and scraped more off and was surprised how easy it came off.

Just wondering could this alter the flavour of the beer, maybe a metallic taste? Not even sure what the white stuff is. Both brews where toucans so I hope it doesn't affect the beer.

Any thoughts on this?

Hi,

Just put down two brews. Today was the first time I've changed over to a metal spoon the help mix the wort instead of a plastic spoon. After I was done I noticed I scratched the white stuff inside on parts of all of the cans I was using when trying to get the last of the kit out of the can. I then got the spoon and scraped more off and was surprised how easy it came off.

Just wondering could this alter the flavour of the beer, maybe a metallic taste? Not even sure what the white stuff is. Both brews where toucans so I hope it doesn't affect the beer.

Any thoughts on this?

To be honest, i've got no idea.

But the best way to get all of the extract out of the can is while you are getting all your brewing stuff together, submerge the can in a sink full of really hot water for 10mins. This way when you pour the contents of the can, it literally falls out fast. For any remaining bits that didn't pour out, i used to use (when i was brewing kits) some boiling water from the kitchen kettle. Half fill the can, wrap a tea towel around it, and then swirl. Empty this into fermenter. Your can will be spotless on the inside after both of these procedures.

To be honest, i've got no idea.

But the best way to get all of the extract out of the can is while you are getting all your brewing stuff together, submerge the can in a sink full of really hot water for 10mins. This way when you pour the contents of the can, it literally falls out fast. For any remaining bits that didn't pour out, i used to use (when i was brewing kits) some boiling water from the kitchen kettle. Half fill the can, wrap a tea towel around it, and then swirl. Empty this into fermenter. Your can will be spotless on the inside after both of these procedures.

Yep did the sink thing the scraped the cans with the spoon after that and then they got the kettle treatment.

The white stuff is most likely a plastic, just like your fermenter, or similar, so no big deal. You should not get a metallic taste from that unless the exposure was a long time? So it should be all good. With kits I find the best method is jujst to tip the goop into the fermenter, then tip the boiling water straight into the can to get the rest of the goodness out and throw in any hops and leave it 5 minutes then give it a gentle stir, and toss into the fermenter. In summer though, I would still do this but add chilled water to keep the overall temperature of the brew at the desired level for the yeast that your going to use.

Fear_n_Loath

The white stuff is most likely a plastic, just like your fermenter, or similar, so no big deal. You should not get a metallic taste from that unless the exposure was a long time? So it should be all good. With kits I find the best method is jujst to tip the goop into the fermenter, then tip the boiling water straight into the can to get the rest of the goodness out and throw in any hops and leave it 5 minutes then give it a gentle stir, and toss into the fermenter. In summer though, I would still do this but add chilled water to keep the overall temperature of the brew at the desired level for the yeast that your going to use.

Fear_n_Loath
it has puzzled me why the "white stuff" is there.. if it comes off so easily??

i used to use the "soak in hot water to soften" trick ... but now do what FnL does ...

I open the can, tip it in a saucepan with a little hot (bot boiling water), twirl it around a little so that the last hanger goes in the can rather than out, and then tip in boiled water from a kettle .. only an inch or so in the bottom, stir this near boiling water in the can which gets off 95% of the remainder, tip it in the saucepan.. and then repeat ... and get 99.9% out, with very little stirring other than to splash the hot water up the sides.

When I tip the saucepanful into the fermenter .. i add a little more recently boiled water to the saucepan, swish it around to disolve the residue... to get out all the goo from the saucepan.

on my first k&K I somehow ended up with the lid for the can in the fermenter. Dont know how.... It didnt affect anything, so I reckon you should be fine!

on my first k&K I somehow ended up with the lid for the can in the fermenter. Dont know how.... It didnt affect anything, so I reckon you should be fine!

haha

I reckon I might have an idea.

maybe the hops were trying to get out :eek:

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it should be ok then. Possibly is a plastic coating of some sort.

Latest posts

Back