Scored Some Coolroom Panels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
I just scored myself 6 cool room panels (2.4 x 1.2 x .05) that I'm sure would be useful to make something for brewing.

I was thinking of perhaps a brew cabinet that I can use a light inside for warmth in winter and ice blocks etc in summer.

Anyone got some ideas on a good design or some features to add for this?

I wont need them all if your in Melbourne and want to make one yourself.

Not wanting to put a downer on this but...

I looked into the same idea a few years back. People do build these, and some are really excellent jobs. I'm also talking about the better ones with a thermostat than can regulate the temp and not one where you need to manually monitor it.

When I started asking around I found most had used them for a while, but long term didn't keep them. I recall one person here on AHB build a big flash cabinet, that if I recall correctly never got used.

My first thought was it would be a lot cheaper to run, than a fridge. Wrong! Think about basic physics here. Cooling a volume to a given temp requires a set amount of energy. A fermenting fridge at 18, or the chamber at 18 is the same temp difference from the ambient. So you can have 2 fridges, 1 as a fridge working medium, and a second fridge at 18 which is hardly working at all; OR you can make the main fridge work harder by having to freeze water bottles all the time. Same applies for heating.

The next issue is swapping out the ice bottles. It's something you have to manually check and do all the time. Fun for a while, but gets boring pretty quick. What happens if you want to go away for a week or two? With a fridge it's set and forget.

Then when you want to drop the temp to 2 for a week or so at the end of fermenting. Can this even be done with ice bottles? If so I assume you will need a lot of them to get the temp down and then maintain it. With a fridge it's just dial up the desired temp and walk away for another week or so.

Most the time you can pick up fridge free or pretty cheap. If it's stored in the shed (or anywhere that the looks don't matter as much) and you have one with the rear condenser the panels could be used to add extra insulation to the top and sides making it more efficient.

Otherwise they could make good bottle storage, where temp fluctuations is not as a high concern.

Just my 2c

QldKev

You could make a bunch of Awesome Eskies. I have seen some that have been made from those panels and they rocked! Miracle box maybe?

I just scored myself 6 cool room panels (2.4 x 1.2 x .05) that I'm sure would be useful to make something for brewing.

I was thinking of perhaps a brew cabinet that I can use a light inside for warmth in winter and ice blocks etc in summer.

Anyone got some ideas on a good design or some features to add for this?

I wont need them all if your in Melbourne and want to make one yourself.

The fermentation cabinet would probably be fine given the thickness of the panels. I wouldn't use them to build something to keep kegs cool. The 50mm panels would be a little too inefficient. As Clueless said, you could make some awesomely efficient eskys.

When I built my cooler I used 75mm panels. Works a treat and the cooling only turns on every 1.5-2 hours or so for around 10 minutes. I've got 8 kegs cool as well as stable fermentation temps on two fermenters all in the one unit. Works a treat !

justsomeguy

These panels are still available if anyone wants them. They would be great to partition off an area in your garage for your brewery.

I don't have any use for them.

How many do you have Truman? What would you want for them?

The fermentation cabinet would probably be fine given the thickness of the panels. I wouldn't use them to build something to keep kegs cool. The 50mm panels would be a little too inefficient. As Clueless said, you could make some awesomely efficient eskys.

When I built my cooler I used 75mm panels. Works a treat and the cooling only turns on every 1.5-2 hours or so for around 10 minutes. I've got 8 kegs cool as well as stable fermentation temps on two fermenters all in the one unit. Works a treat !

justsomeguy

What did you use for the cooling? Drop in units seem to be rather expensive. Are you a fridgey?

My cousins husband is a fridgey and it is no problem for him to score bits and pieces here and there and put them together but he is way too far away from me and I don't have the knowledge. I scored some 100mm panels for $2 off ebay. In metro SA you have to pay to take stuff to the dump so I guess the guy saved some money by selling the panels for stuff all. He had made an esky to fit in the back of his ute.

What did you use for the cooling? Drop in units seem to be rather expensive. Are you a fridgey?

My cousins husband is a fridgey and it is no problem for him to score bits and pieces here and there and put them together but he is way too far away from me and I don't have the knowledge. I scored some 100mm panels for $2 off ebay. In metro SA you have to pay to take stuff to the dump so I guess the guy saved some money by selling the panels for stuff all. He had made an esky to fit in the back of his ute.

and is the best thing I have seen

My old man has an esky built out of these panels and it is awsome holds ice for ages. after chrissie im pinching it for a fermenter box(luckily it fits one in there perfectly) I was thinking about knocking up another replica (cost is minimal for me) or would it just be worth setting up an old fridge? (the esky is convienient size)

Please explain?

I used a small reverse cycle box air conditioner. Got it on clearance at the end of summer last year. And 'nope' I'm not a fridgy. If you do ahve access to a fridgy get him to put a cooling unit together and fit the thing yourself. Then just get him to gas it up for you.

On my system, I've bypassed the thermostat and run the cooler on a mashmaster temp controller.

Please explain?

He's seen it. The cooler I have consists of two chambers, one capable of holding 12 kegs kept cool by the air conditioning unit and the second chamber for two fermenters kept cool by the same air conditioning unit, or warm using heaters. I run three temp controllers, one for the kegs and one each of two fermenters. I can have an ale and a lager fermenting at the same time each individually controlled using this system. If the fermenter needs to cool then one of the controllers kicks in and turns on fans to circulate cold air from the chamber holding the kegs into the fermentation chamber. If a fermenter gets too cold then its controller turns on a heater for that fermenter. Pretty simple stuff really.

The only issue I've had in the 18 months I've had it was one time when we had some crazy humidity over a few days and the air conditioning unit couldn't de-humidify quickly enough resulting in the front of the air con unit icing up. I'd been opening and closing the door a lot over those few days as well which resulting in heaps of warm wet air getting in. Not too much of an issue now as having 8 perlicks on the front means I don't have to open the door too often. :beerbang:

There are some pic on the forum somewhere but I can't find the link at the moment.

Regards,
garyd

Back