Schweinshaxe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
Anyone who has been to Munich will recognize these! I have been thinking of doing these for ages, finally found a butcher that had pork hocks or pork knuckles readily available. My wife, bless her German heritage, found German potato dumpling mix at a Euro delicatessen and good old Aldis had pickled red cabbage, which we have regularly anyway!

Pictures in order are:
Pork hocks (knuckles) as bought from butcher
Getting them onto the skewer for rotisserie
On the BBQ
After a few hours on the BBQ
As pulled off the BBQ after four hours, yes, four hours
Served and ready to eat
Not pictured, me fat and happy recalling my September in Munchen :)

Schweinshaxe_Preparation_002.jpg

Schweinshaxe_Preparation_008.jpg

Schweinshaxe_Preparation_010.jpg

Schweinshaxe_Grilling_003.jpg

Schweinshaxe_Served_001.jpg

Schweinshaxe_Served_003.jpg

:icon_drool2: love it mate very yummy we get the pork knuckles here easy the "German potato dumpling mix"(do you know whats in the mix) is a hard one to get here i might have to search about more or get the family to look in Hahndorf for me :icon_cheers:

do these need to be done on a rotisserie?

Had this in Prague last year was so good!!

Damn they _do_ look good! :icon_drool2:

I usually get pickled pork hocks to make them - Boil for a bit with spices, then bung it in the oven to crisp up.

Hmm... might have to make some next weekend.....

Looking forward to try eisbien (swineshaxe) i my Germany holiday next month

No they don't. I braise mine... a good starting point is here http://www.schlenkerla.de/schlenkerla/karte/rezeptee.html

The translation is a bit dodgey so here's what I do...

Rub knuckles with oil, salt, papper and caraway seeds
Heat oil in pan and brown the knuckles on all sides
Place roughly chopped carrots, celery, leeks, onions in roasting pan
Place knuckles on top
Add water until vegetables are covered
Cover pan with lid or foil
Cook in oven at 200C for 2 hours
Remove lid, increase heat to 220C and cook for a further 40 mins to crispen (it shouldn't take 40 mins really but our oven is crap)

You may need to turn them to crispen evenly or stand them up. Whatever you do make sure the skin crispens well, otherwise the skin can be tough and unpleasant.

Goes well with baked potato and lashings of sauerkraut and a couple of german sausages nicked off your wife's plate when she isn't looking ;)

Be warned: the sauce described on the Schlenkerla website is very strong. I would advise having the sauce on the side rather than pouring it over the top of the knuckle.

FWIW I just about lived on schweinshaxe whilst in Germany and can vouch for the above method. Braising will render the fat out of the joint and cause the tendons to gelatinise and leaves the meat very tender and falling off the bone. I also tried them boiled (in Koln) but found the meat didn't come away anywhere as easily than the braised/roasted version and it retain alot of fat between the meat and skin. Of course, that may have been the establishment doing an ordinary job of it though but it put me off the boiled version enough to never try it again.

Having said all that though, the rotisseried version looks sensational and I'd be interested to know if it falls away from the bone as well as braised knuckles.

Feeling like a beer and pork knuckle
Steve.

No they don't. I braise mine... a good starting point is here http://www.schlenkerla.de/schlenkerla/karte/rezeptee.html

The translation is a bit dodgey so here's what I do...

Rub knuckles with oil, salt, papper and caraway seeds
Heat oil in pan and brown the knuckles on all sides
Place roughly chopped carrots, celery, leeks, onions in roasting pan
Place knuckles on top
Add water until vegetables are covered
Cover pan with lid or foil
Cook in oven at 200C for 2 hours
Remove lid, increase heat to 220C and cook for a further 40 mins to crispen (it shouldn't take 40 mins really but our oven is crap)

You may need to turn them to crispen evenly or stand them up. Whatever you do make sure the skin crispens well, otherwise the skin can be tough and unpleasant.

Goes well with baked potato and lashings of sauerkraut and a couple of german sausages nicked off your wife's plate when she isn't looking ;)

Be warned: the sauce described on the Schlenkerla website is very strong. I would advise having the sauce on the side rather than pouring it over the top of the knuckle.

FWIW I just about lived on schweinshaxe whilst in Germany and can vouch for the above method. Braising will render the fat out of the joint and cause the tendons to gelatinise and leaves the meat very tender and falling off the bone. I also tried them boiled (in Koln) but found the meat didn't come away anywhere as easily than the braised/roasted version and it retain alot of fat between the meat and skin. Of course, that may have been the establishment doing an ordinary job of it though but it put me off the boiled version enough to never try it again.

Having said all that though, the rotisseried version looks sensational and I'd be interested to know if it falls away from the bone as well as braised knuckles.

Feeling like a beer and pork knuckle
Steve.

Steve is probably right, does not need to be on a rotisserie, but we have one so I used it. As to the meat falling away from the bone, when I tried to cut the crispy skin, the whole knuckle collapsed into a pile of nice crispy skin and shredded meat, so tender it almost dissolved in your mouth. I was surprised how good it actually turned out.

The package of potato dumpling mix was not as good as the real thing in Munich, but a reasonable substitute. Will be looking for a home made recipe next time we have this, which I think is not far away as we bought several more knuckles whilst we were there!

Going to have to plan another Munich Helles to go along with the next batch of them though :icon_drool2:

man, just got back from Germany 2 weeks ago, these pics make me wanna go back!

Latest posts

Back